G

Hi anyone, I've just bought a new athlon 900, and I'm a little worried about the temperature that the thing is running at. according to system info viewer, and the bios, it reckons it is running at around 98 degrees celsius. The fan RPM is around 4500, but i know that doesn't necessarily do jack if the heatsink isn't good enough. I don't know anyone else with an athlon, so if anyone else has a similar setup (gigabyte 7zm motherboard) pls let me know what temp your CPU is running at. Cheers and thanks in advance - Mike

Raystonn

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2001
If you can still get to this forum (haven't yet burnt out the CPU) I suggest you immediately feel the heatsink. If it doesn't feel very hot, then it's not attached correctly. Turn off your system as quickly as possibly and reseat it. If it feels fine, your temperature sensor might be broken or something. Usually it will definately have burnt out at anything past 90C.

-Raystonn

= The views stated herein are my personal views, and not necessarily the views of my employer. =

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is a chance you haven't removed the protective foil that sits on top of the termal pad that serves as the interface between the CPU core and the heatsink.
If you haven't...know that it's a VERY good insulator.

I've done it myself once..causing a Thunderbird 750 to run at around 95 degrees celcius.

G

Well, I had a feel of the heatsink, and it seemed hot, but certainly not too hot, neither did any area around the CPU. I installed that motherboard monitor program, and strangely enough it reports the temperature as being around 60-65 degrees, while the system info viewer that came with the mb drivers is still reporting about 95-105 degrees. I'm guessing that the SIV is screwed, because wouldn't the cpu become wildly unstable and blue screen if it were running so hot? what temperature should an athlon 900 run at? thanks for the other info -mike (I probably should have realised something was weird when SIV reported 112 degrees during some heavy wav file editing)