Athlon Voltage Problem

G

I have a question about my 700Mhz Athlon processor's voltage, this is an original Slot A Athlon not a Tbird and I have a Gigabyte GA-7IXE motherboard.

I've noticed this in not only my CMOS, but also with gigabyte's utility manager, which also shows the voltages. Note: this processor is not overclocked. Anyways the -12V fluctuates from -12.198 to -12.281, the +12V +11.734 to +11.795, +5V +4.784 to +4.811, and the VCoreA +1.584 to +1.616, is this bad, and if so what would be the problem?

DSutcliffe

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I agree with Wusy that it is no problem but not just because your system runs stable. A little bit of fluctuation is O.K. as long as it's just a little bit.

Now if it is causing a problem, you may want to try a different power supply and see if the problem still exists.

Your core voltage is varying less than 1/50th of a volt, that's usually not enough to cause a problem but I have seen wierder things when it comes to computers.

Check out my rig:
<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737" target="_new">http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=3737</A>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
The figures you have provided are within the nominal range. Worry not. All is fine. Just not perfect. Then again, what is?

<i><b><font color=red>"2 is not equal to 3, not even for large values of 2"</font color=red></b></i>

G

you should be OK but if it concerns you replace your PSU , they don't cost much..

M

Opinions are like arseholes .... everybody’s got one.... :smile:

G

Yeah my system is real stable actually, I think the last time I actually had any real error's or BSODs was like a good 6 months ago. Thanks for your help.

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Consider that proof that all the transistors in your cpu are working. If you didn't get voltage fluctuation, it'd mean your computer is running at the exact same configuration all the time. At idle, not every transistor is switching.