Athlon X3 450 vs AMD FX-4100

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

No it's not t's called staying on topic and answering OP's question...

And we all did, we said to get a Phenom II quad core Black Edition CPU because both the Athlon and Bulldozer aren't that great at gaming. Want to try again?

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011

That's not what OP asked

Want to try again?

some say that bulldozer is future proof

Anyone who uses a term like "future proof" in regards to computers, should have everything they say taken with a grain of salt. There is no such thing as future proof. One can buy slightly better parts than they need at the time for the sake of a little longevity, but any CPU and Video card you go with is pretty much going to be junk in 4-5 years, no matter how nice it is today.

The only things in your system that are truly future proof are your case, power supply, optical drive, and to some extent your hard drive. Faster hard drives may come out, but most likely you can still use the older one as a secondary.

Now back to the topic at hand. Between the CPUs you've mentioned and the one we suggested, the Phenom II 965 has the best chance of guarenteeing you 3 to 4 years of relatively smooth gameplay (of course depending on what video card you pair it with), and if its $16 more at your local shop its worth every penny more over the FX-4100. Although, they are also $109 from Newegg.com currently.

The Athlon II basically is the same CPU as the Phenom II, however the Phenom II has one more core than the x3 450, and the P II also has an L3 cache, which the Athlon II does not. Depending on the game you're playing, this lacking cache can have anywhere from a 5% to a 20% hit in gaming performance. Buy the better product and always remember "you get what you pay for".

As far as Windows 8, even if there is an improvement, its not expected to be greater than 5-10 percent. Assuming Windows8 improves anything, this would merely make the FX-4100 as good as the Phenom II 965, not better than it.

Yea, I guess I should mention that. Quite frankly, I hate Intel, not because of their products, they absolutely do make stronger CPUs than AMD, hands down. I dislike Intel because of the way they do business, and the illegal methods they have used to get ahead of AMD in the CPU market.

Even so, I'll still give it to you straight, the Phenom II 965 is superior to the FX-4100 and thats the way it is. Alot of smart people in this thread has told you the same thing I'm telling you, Urban Legend is a smart guy who "does this stuff for a living", Rds1220, quite frankly we can't stand each other, but he also "does this stuff for a living", I'm in school to "do this stuff for a living", take our words for it and make the wiser financial decision.

you do realize that running a GTX 550Ti on an ASUS FX 'Tooth' and 975BE @ 4.0GHz is sacrilegious right.?! :p

I do actually. :kaola: See, I bought the board for the 5 year warranty more than anything. It is my intention to drop an 8 PileDriver on it or whatever the next generation AM3+ is (Steamroller?). Based on Quad Trinity's benches against the i3+ HyperThreading, I'm thinking PileDrivers might actually be on par with SB/IB i5's, works for me.

The video card as well, at the time it was what I could afford. I know AMD uses sockets longer than Intel does, the system I have currently is one that is incomplete at this point in time. I'm still using VGA monitors, thats also something that needs to be addressed before a more powerful video card is really justifiable.

Actually, I don't know about that picture.. I don't know how well cats fair against hawks, but I've seen cats take on dogs much bigger than they are and win. My mother also told me this story when she was a little girl, she lived in farm land, the neighbors had this big dog they let run loose who was aggressive one day she was walking to the mailbox (far away from the house) and the dog came after her, he cat "Kitty" came out of nowhere and gouged the dog's eye out. :eek:

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
Listen - This is not in any way contributing to this thread, if you really ARE 22 years old, you need to act it.

Thread is over, OP has his answer, leave it.

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I thought i would do a mindless speech like you... i look up to little people like you :)

Ahh sorry my mistake, i have done enough showing you up.
Stay on topic.. great answer!

www.excusetheweak.com

Mindless speech?
You call that a speech? That was the shortest and most pathetic speech I have ever seen in my entire life. You came to this thread to flame a user? go ahead, I honestly could no care if someone like you tries to insult me.

spider_hugs_tiem_now.jpg

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
FX user insult, while Recon was trying to insult me, 2 on 1, ganging up.

Recon, I didn't leave the thread because you didn't listen, it's common sense to come back until you do listen.

yummerzzz

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2011
I was referring to when I told you specifically to leave the thread since OP had his answer.

Continue being an internet tough guy while I sit here playing games perfectly fine on my current gaming rig which runs games perfectly for me.