Athlon X3 450 vs AMD FX-4100

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sorta, kinda, not really. Its a completely different design than the K10 architecture (What the Phenom/Athlons are based on). But it really goes beyond my understanding of how CPUs work to really explain it though. I'm not sure if I firmly understand it anyway lol.

1991ATServerTower

Distinguished
May 6, 2013

It's very simple really.

For whole number x86 calculations [ALU] it is a true quad core, but for decimal point x86 calculations (FPU) it's a dual core.

This processor looks like so,

<Module 1>
[ALU/"Core" 1] (FPU 1) [ALU/"Core" 2]

<Module 2>
[ALU/"Core" 3] (FPU 2) [ALU/"Core" 4]

So, having 4 ALUs allows Windows XP/Vista/7 and Linux to use it as a quad core processor. Windows 8 uses it as a dual core processor with hyperthreading though, which is done to spread out the FPU instructions more effectively - Why send two FPU instructions to "Core 3" and "Core 4", when one of those FPU instructions is just going to have to wait to use FPU 2? Could have just sent those two FPU instuctions to "Core 1" and "Core 3", so neither would have to wait. It's just a simple efficiency trick, which Win7 will also do when patched.

Anyhow, for every day use it's not a big deal. High end gaming, sure, but then this processor is not priced into that market. If you want "high end" you're going to have to pay top dollar for it (hence the reason why "high end gamers" use the $240 Intel i5 K series chips).

TRENDING THREADS