athlon xp 2800+ help

robertlj

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
I was converting my 8mm home videos to dvd using amd 2000 on a epox 8rda+ with studio 9 worked good but 6 months back the board blew 8 caps. Then i bought amd 2800 and dfi nf2 u400s-al. Yes i know dumb, skt a dead horse and the dfi mobo is junk so please recomend several boards for my amd 2800 cpu. Thanks as you know skt a mobos are getting hard to find. Bob

Battleofcarnage

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2006
Yes i believe DFI was bad back then but now they are good. Good mobo manufactures include asus, abit (very nice socket a's), and msi. I haven't tried the other manufactures yet but most left are "value" and so pretty crappy most of the time. The exception is a newer company named ASRock, they make good boards that are better than the "value" boards because they are the cheap version of Asus and i believe owned by Asus. Finding any of these good brands is hard but newegg.com has a good selection of socket a's left. most are "value" but there are two ASRocks and those i would recomend. At least they are very good as skt 939 boards one of witch i own. Here's a link to neweggs page of socket a's Newegg socket a's

As u said you are kinda beating a dead horse, the best thing would be to upgrade to at least 754 if not 939 but if you can't and the dfi is working right now i don't think you should worry a lot about changing the mobo. The only difference would be changing manufactures, maybe a little quality, and some features. The nf2 was a good chipset back then, trust me my friend has been through about 3 different skt a chipsets and the nf2 was the best. The nf2 is now the hardest to find to and the most expensive. So i say stick with the dfi and upgrade in a year or so or upgrade now if you can.

doglips

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Hey buddy...try a MSI K7N2 Delta2 if you can find one ...there Great...MSI ROCKS...I have the Platinum board.....dynamic OCin..lots of extra's on this board...none better for the old Socket A......you'll love it