Athlon XP 2900 Barton?????w/MSI MB

doglips

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
Just ordered Athlon XP 2900 Barton....now im finding out that it may not be compatible w/ my K7N2 Delta Platinum MB...any one know sumthin?????
HELP ME!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Where did you get a 2900? I wasn't aware that was a model of the Barton??? But if it's a Barton socket A, it should run just fine on that board.

Anoobis

Splendid
Feb 4, 2006
If I remember correctly, that is a NForce 2 Ultra board so it will handle any Barton Athlon XP Processor AMD made, however Scout makes a good point. There is no Barton 2900 processor (to my knowledge). You might want to double check what you bought to make sure you didn't get ripped off.

doglips

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
OK Guys, here's the story....ordered one on Gearxs.com, was lookin for a Barton 3000, couldn't find one, found this 2900,(never heard of it ether). I ordered it all excited, then (stupid me) started researchin(after orderin)found out that it was made for HP only w/special MB.And AMD are dumpin old stock. Have read conflicting stories. Some people are having nothing but trouble and some swear it a great CPU.....anybody know anything that mite help me....CPU arives Wed Or Thursday....I'm FREAKIN and i dont even have it yet. MSI lists every barton as compatible with my K7N2 Delta2 Platinum but doesn't list the 2900............hummmmm...what do you think?????????????????????????????????????????????????????

bobbydamm

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2005
Well,
AMD is great yet they're strange.
I have an AMD 64 3400+.
That chip seems to be all but eliminated due to the AMD 64 3500+.
and it's 2000mhz FSB bus compared to 1600mhz on the 3400+
So a Tweak here and a prod there.....
I really wouldn't worry about it man,
If it was a special design for HP then whoopee I suppose,
but as long as the thing works right and doesn't freeze or BSOD yur arse
And if you gotta really good deal, then go with it!
Then again, keep all receipts and such and all if the worst case scenerio
happens.
Chill, dude.
It should be OK.
Hopefully that MSI mobo and CPU are tested to match and should be the duo ya want.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
That's right, I remember that HP had some strange models built just for them. As I recall, they ran slower FSB speed but had a multiplier that clocked them pretty high.

At any rate, it should run fine, although you may have to set it up manually since the BIOS of that board may not recognize it.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If the BIOS doesn't auto detect the CPU correctly, it may default to a 100 MHz. FSB speed. You may have to go into the BIOS and manually set the FSB speed.

cowboytech

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2006
That 2900+ is a genuine Barton XP. It is based on the 2800+, but modified to operate at 400MHz, thus the 2900+ designation. It is an OEM "contract" product and was never intended by AMD to be sold as a separate part in the retail market. By example, an OEM manufacturer (such as HP or Compaq) can contract for large production runs of non-standard CPU's, making them "brand exclusive" and sometimes "model exclusive" - meaning that they are intended to be deployed in a certain make, certain model of computer. However, if the OEM's projected sales targets were off, they still take delivery of the parts, even if the computer for which they were intended is discontinued. These excess parts are sold off (dumped) by the OEM.

The upside is that they can be purchased at relatively attractive prices - or bundled, as in this case, to make them appear so. But here's the downside... AMD will NOT provide any warranty or support for these CPUs to end users because their agreement is solely with the OEM who contracted for their manufacture. These CPUs will not even appear in the tech support database if and when you call AMD for help. (I was fortunate to have gotten through to a fellow who happened to know.)

Okay, that's what AMD told me. Taking it a step further, now it makes perfect sense why a user would have a problem getting the mobo bios to properly ID the chip. The CPU's were always intended to be propietary to the specific OEM who contracted for them. So unless you know which OEM was the original purchaser, and have the specific motherboard from that OEM with the "custom bios" to ID the chip, you'll likely find it difficult to ever get the CPU to be properly recognized.

This does not necessarily represent a "bad deal," but as they say, "You pays your money, you takes your choice."