Athlon1.33GHz mobo settings

G

Hi,

before you all start, I have read the manual and there is no reference to the settings I need.

I won't lie, I no expert, but I am not sure what to do.

I have an Asus A7V 133, and Athlon 1333MHz 266fsb. 256 Mb PC133 (Don't know the make, sorry!)

Which settings (multipplier/bus speed/dram speed) do I need to use. Not overclocked, just normal settings.

The BIOS picks 100MHz 10 x giving 1GHz. which is not what I have paid for.

I have tried 133MHz bus, 10x 133DRAM (This might be mad but sounds fine to me cos I know nothing about this). This makes the system hang.

12.5x 100MHz bus, 133MHz dram works. (also with 101, 102,103 MHz bus speeds)

This is ok i guess, but I thought by paying a bit more and getting 266fsb (where does this number come from?) I would be gaining some kind of performance somewhere.

So, which settings should I be using?

Anyway guys, I'm sure you know all about this, so thanks in advance for the help.

Trevor

HamsterSlayer

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Your setting with bus at 133Mhz and RAM at 133Mhz should work. It is the correct setting for your system, and should make the CPU run at 1330Mhz (10 x 133), it is not mad at all!
If the system hangs with those settings, something is wrong!

The "266" comes from that fact that the Athlon's FSB is "double-pumped", meaning that it transfers twice as much data at a given frequency.
That means that 133Mhz gives an effective transfer rate equal to that of a 266Mhz FSB, even though the bus is indeed running at 133Mhz. It's called Double Data Rate, or DDR.

G

I agree that your 10x133 settings should have worked if you really got a 1.33GHz 266MHzFSB Tbird. If you don't mind pulling off your heatsink, make sure it the CPU says 'C' on it which indicates it really is a 266MHz FSB chip. Otherwise you were shipped the wrong chip. I don't remember where the 'C' appears on the chip. Maybe something like this:

Athlon
1333Cxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxx

where x represents any other letter or number in the chip code.

G

I just set up a system 2 days ago with the same specs. I found that manually setting the FSB and clock multiplier was the way to go (make sure that the "JEN" jumper is set to 1-2, for manual FSB and Multiplier, and not 2-3, for jumperless-mode.), also, make sure you have an up-to-date BIOS. Hope that helps. You can email me if you need a more detailed explaination.
ncardinal@siliconsolutions.bc.ca

--
Free us from these chains, let us slip these bonds and touch the sky with our imagination.