Athlon64 3000+ temperature. Correct?

I put this lovely system together back in October, and have been very
happy with it, except I can't decide if I should trust the temperature
readings I'm getting from it in light of what others report for this
chip.

I have an ASUS K8V-X motherboard and use ASUS PC Probe to get my
temperature readings. Over the winter, the CPU ran ~28C idle and ~38C
while gaming or rendering or otherwise doing something intensive. Now,
we're getting some of our first seriously hot summer days, and the
ambient temperature is much higher. It's about 80F (~27C) in the room
right now, and the idle temperature appears to sit at 36C. Earlier, I
did some Farcry, tasked out and the reading was 47C.

Are these temperatures believable? It seems that most people are
reporting higher temps, sometimes by far. What's the best way to get an
accurate reading if these are not to be trusted?

<doiknowyou@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I put this lovely system together back in October, and have been
very
> happy with it, except I can't decide if I should trust the
temperature
> readings I'm getting from it in light of what others report for this
> chip.
>
> I have an ASUS K8V-X motherboard and use ASUS PC Probe to get my
> temperature readings. Over the winter, the CPU ran ~28C idle and
~38C
> while gaming or rendering or otherwise doing something intensive.
Now,
> we're getting some of our first seriously hot summer days, and the
> ambient temperature is much higher. It's about 80F (~27C) in the
room
> right now, and the idle temperature appears to sit at 36C. Earlier,
> did some Farcry, tasked out and the reading was 47C.
>
> Are these temperatures believable? It seems that most people are
> reporting higher temps, sometimes by far. What's the best way to get
an
> accurate reading if these are not to be trusted?

I believe that Asus uses a thermistor under the CPU socket to "measure
the CPU temperature". On my Asus K8S-MX with a cool-running Sempron
2600+, Asus PC Probe reports that the "CPU temperature" is _lower_
than whatever it calls the SiS northbridge chip (thermal diode)
temperature by about 2F! I use SpeedFan to determine the
thermal-diode CPU die temperature. Just what temperature do you want
to measure?

doiknowyou@gmail.com wrote:
> I have an ASUS K8V-X motherboard and use ASUS PC Probe to get my
> temperature readings. Over the winter, the CPU ran ~28C idle and ~38C
> while gaming or rendering or otherwise doing something intensive. Now,
> we're getting some of our first seriously hot summer days, and the
> ambient temperature is much higher. It's about 80F (~27C) in the room
> right now, and the idle temperature appears to sit at 36C. Earlier, I
> did some Farcry, tasked out and the reading was 47C.

sounds about right for a 3000+, which run quite cool if u have good case
airflow. my 3200+ idles at around 30C, loads at about 52C, its heading
into winter here in NZ.

Ed

On 8 Jun 2005 22:15:22 -0700, doiknowyou@gmail.com wrote:

>I put this lovely system together back in October, and have been very
>happy with it, except I can't decide if I should trust the temperature
>readings I'm getting from it in light of what others report for this
>chip.
>
>I have an ASUS K8V-X motherboard and use ASUS PC Probe to get my
>temperature readings. Over the winter, the CPU ran ~28C idle and ~38C
>while gaming or rendering or otherwise doing something intensive. Now,
>we're getting some of our first seriously hot summer days, and the
>ambient temperature is much higher. It's about 80F (~27C) in the room
>right now, and the idle temperature appears to sit at 36C. Earlier, I
>did some Farcry, tasked out and the reading was 47C.
>
>Are these temperatures believable? It seems that most people are
>reporting higher temps, sometimes by far. What's the best way to get an
>accurate reading if these are not to be trusted?

Well if you are using a thermal sensor CPU fan like the one you get in
AMD's retail box then these temps may be accurate. As the case temp goes
up the CPU fan spins faster keeping the CPU cool.

I run a retail 3200+ (2.2GHz/512K), my idle temps went up due to summer
heat too but when gaming the CPU temp still only hits around 50C-52C,
the CPU fan speeds up about 300 RPM.

I use a free program called SpeedFan on my Asus NF2 and Chaintech NF3
boards, never had any problem with Asus probe though, I even wrote an
add for it. ;p

Cheers,
Ed
--
Asus PC Probe Add-On Utility
http://tinyurl.com/6bhxe

Never trusted Asus probe. Use your BIOS to get a good general starting temp.
Just watch it for a minute or two to see if it rises much or stays steady.

<doiknowyou@gmail.com> wrote in message
> I put this lovely system together back in October, and have been very
> happy with it, except I can't decide if I should trust the temperature
> readings I'm getting from it in light of what others report for this
> chip.
>
> I have an ASUS K8V-X motherboard and use ASUS PC Probe to get my
> temperature readings. Over the winter, the CPU ran ~28C idle and ~38C
> while gaming or rendering or otherwise doing something intensive. Now,
> we're getting some of our first seriously hot summer days, and the
> ambient temperature is much higher. It's about 80F (~27C) in the room
> right now, and the idle temperature appears to sit at 36C. Earlier, I
> did some Farcry, tasked out and the reading was 47C.
>
> Are these temperatures believable? It seems that most people are
> reporting higher temps, sometimes by far. What's the best way to get an
> accurate reading if these are not to be trusted?

TRENDING THREADS