Athlon64 - AMD Learns from Intel

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Normaly they count the number of CPU cycle.after the request is send the CPU continue ticking after the Data have arrive thy count the number of tick and that it simple.

Why i say so a EV8 score about 70 NS or 75 CPU clock Lantency with plain PC 800 RDRAM.DDR 400 twice as much internal clock will score higher no.Canterwood to have 4X time the lantency imposible it only because P4 run twice faster sso relate to NS and you got a real figure.

Also only read burst score are give what about Write perf READ/Write perf none are giving i so want to see I850 PC 800 kick there butt on write perf.

[-peep-] french

imgod2u

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2002
After reading that, as I have not seen it elsewhere, it reads as if only the new P4 C 800mhz fsb processor has this 2-transfer ability. Any thoughts?

They specifically mentioned the FSB400 and FSB533 P4's. If it was something specific to the FSB800 P4's, I think they would've mentioned that.

I totally agree with the varying scaling of processors, especially those of different flavors. I would just restate that it follows a very deterministic model and processors of varying architectures follow similar lines. As stated by xbitlabs, the A64 is just a tweaked XP.

Well, my whole point was that even comparing the AthlonXP to the P4, scalability varies (they're both close to linear in certain situations, but not completely) and hence, unless there's a huge difference in clock-normalized performance (like 30%), it would be difficult to say there's a definite difference. Not unless you had two clock-normalized MPU's to test. Just dividing the performance number by frequency isn't really going to tell you anything except that the average IPC of one processor is different than the average IPC of another processor at a completely different clockspeed. Hell, even a P4 1.6 GHz would have a different clock-normalized performance than a P4 2.53.

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.

juin

Distinguished
May 19, 2001
Adress command bus run at 2X or DDR and the Data bus at 4X like DDR single command adresse bus and DDR data bus RDRAM use 2X/2X setting.

ALL DDR ALL P4 simple.

Scaling is hard to know like some HT kind mix all result.Normaly over 2GHZ K7 core have trouble increase is perf.can be due to a to old subsystemes or lack of cache.

[-peep-] french