ATI 1650PRO power supply requirements.

eflyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
I had to upgrade to a better video card due the requirements of Real Flight 4.5 and need for Directx9. I have a AGP HIS 1650pro with fan on the video card that takes air from the case over the GPU and then out the casee.

Problem the video box says I recomends a 450 watt power suppy if there number of internal devices and mine is 400 watt.

voltages and amps on current PSU

+3V - 15A
+12V - 16A
+5V - 28A
-5V - 0.8
-12V - 0.6A
+5VSB - 2A

I looked at the specs of 500 and 430 watt PSU's and the +12 Volt amp are 17 Amps. That is all of one AMP better than my current system.

System

Mthbd D865 PERL
2 gig memory
1 DVD player/burner
1 CD rom Player / Burner
Intergated lan and audio on MTBD
1 scuz card for the scanner.

I have 3 additional fans in the case besides the Video card and PSU.

Question:

So far it runs very smooth no problems no crashes.

Should I plan on gettting a 450-500 watt supply.

Should I do not use the computer until I upgrade the PSU?

eflyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
I had seen other answers say you need 30 amps on the +12 volt they also talk about 2 rail system what is that all abou.

Sorry to be a pain.

eflyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009

The link is very interesting. I wish had that link when I was building the computer.

At that time I could not get a answer if PCIE would work on my Real Flight Sim for model airplanes so I went with the AGP mobo.

I am thinking I know what they are talking about "Dual rail" refers to separate +12 volt output sources on the PSU. Each one suppies 17 amps of power for a total of 34 amps total.

I still do not know if I have to upgrade or not.

All the HIS AGP 1650 box says it " HIS 1650 PRO connects to the PSU. HIS recommends the 450 PSU to insure proper operation where there are other Internal devices are installed"

Sorry to be a bother.

John F. Clarke

Your card only draws like 4-5 amps. If it can make you feel better, read this thread where someone runs it on a 300W PSU http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?p=5972433 and this one who runs it on a 200W PSU http://forums.cnet.com/5208-7586_102-0.html?threadID=285897.

You need 30 amps if you run a powerful video card in a high end system. Since you have an AGP card, you probably don't have a very powerful system with a fast Quad Core CPU, 8 GB of memory, several hard disks, a couple DVD drives, etc.

eflyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009

Thanks for the links and answer.

my system
D865PERL Intel MOBO
Extreme 478 Pin Prescott 3MHZ Processor
2 gigs of memory
1 DVD burner /player
1 Cd Rom burner / player
1 card for the PCI ard the scanner
Intergated lan and audio on the MOBO
3 extra fans on the full tower case.
HIS 1650Pro with intergal fan

Thanks

John F. Clarke

You haven't actually listed your PSU as far as I can see, but the specs make it look like a very old design. A quality modern PSU will have the highest amperage rating on the 12V rail.

Have a look at the specs of this quality 450W:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139003&Tpk=450VX

And here is a quality 430W:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371006&Tpk=EA430
Note that because of the dual rail listing, you do not add the rails to get the total amperage. In this case, looking at the label, I can tell the actual amperage for the 12V is 30A. (360W/12= 30).

So, because you want a QUALITY PSU, the recommendation of 30A is not too far off. However, the actual power needs of your card are not so high.

I would actually expect your current system to pull about 220W max from the wall, and so a quality 380W would indeed be good. However, a good PSU can last many years so it's not always wise to just buy for the present system.

Don't worry about the number of rails. It makes no real difference with a modern PSU. For a short time it seemed important, when dual rail PSUs first came out.

eflyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
That looks like a good choice of PSU.

The reason I am antsy about the Power supply I had less than 6 month old Sappfire 1650 AGP video card go bad.

The computer started slowing down and after a week of two, crashes totaly lockups and finally the hard drive did not start and confirmed by Cmos look see.

I reinstalled a old PCI video card and the system resumed operation.

That is why I got a differant vender and got the HIS 1650PRO. I asked friends about the HIS company and if they were good vender or not.

The vender of the currrent PSU is "Star Logic". and yes the case and PSU is about 6 years old. I have a problem from the biggening of that build, minor but annoying. When I shut down it will reboot unless I turn power off when the screen goes black. I tried all kinds of things including a replacing the Hard DRive with a clean hard drive with just WinXP Pro. No help. When I get a automated Microsoft windows update when it finishes it shuts down with out reboot. Wierd!!!

John F. Clarke

eflyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009

The PSU fan blows warm to hot air. For that reason and your recomendation I will order the Corsair 450 PSU.

Thank you for your patience.

John F. Clarke

eflyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009

I ordered the PSU from New egg and I wll not use the computer until I put in the new PSU. They even had free shipping and a 5 instant rebate and a additional 10 mail in rebate.

I will let you know if that sloves the problem of shutting down and then rebooting.

Thank you for your parience, this old fart (73) needs some new parts besides the computer.

John F. Clarke

eflyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009

I just received and installed the CVousair 450 Power supply.

Man it is quiet.

It seems it to have solved the reboot on shutdown problem. I tried it several times and each time it shuts down.

Now on to using my Real Flight to get hovering experience in my 3D models.

Oh by the way the old power supply had a date of 2005. I thought it was older.

John F. Clarke

Glad to hear it's resolved. That Star Logic should make a good door stop :)

Does it have a UL number on it? I would like to find out the OEM for future reference....

If it's there it's under a symbol that looks like a backwards UR.

eflyer

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2009
Yes there is and infact it has in small letters E178768 just under the UL symbol.

It is CE and CB and tested for compliance FCC.

So far it looks good.

I will have to fill out my profile.

John F. Clarke