MegaGamer3

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Well, i recently upgraded my 9600gt to a sapphire 4870. Everything was great, that is, except for the idle temps. So i did a google search and followed the instructions ( http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1320090 ) to try to decrease my temperatures. Everything worked fine, i saved the bios to the graphics card, and then i restarted. I played some crysis, no problem again. Then i turned off my computer for a couple of hours, and when i came back and tried to turn on my computer, nothing. It turns on, EVERYTHING powers up as it should, except my USB keyboard (which always should power up, even with a graphics card problem) doesn't light up or work at all as it should, and my screen remains black. My thought were that i messed up the card, but how would that effect my USB keyboard from not lighting up.

System specs:
ABS 700w tagan
AMD Phenom 9850
MSI k9a2 platinum
2x1 gig mushkin 1066 ram
Saitek 2 tone keyboard with gaming pad (which i have never used and haven't installed the drivers for)
LG 22"

P.S. Help...

copasetic

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
Case speaker plugged into the motherboard? If not plug it in and see if you get any beeps when the computer starts up. Try putting in your old video card if you still have it and see if it boots up then (boot it into VGA mode by hitting F8 a bunch while it's starting).

Emperor36

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007
If you would of read the last post on that site it states this:

I probably wouldn't try changing clocks yet. Wait for an official BIOS release (they have em for 4850s already) before flashing to a new one. There are supposedly issues with changing frequencies on the BIOS with 4870s right now (since the RBE only states support for 4850 right now).

I don't know if that caused your 4870 to not work?

Or go into your bios and make sure everything is causer. Make sure everything is plug in right, post back soon.

hope that helped good luck.

MegaGamer3

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
If you would of read the last post on that site it states this:

I didn't change any of the clock settings, just the fan. I did plug in my old card and it said this. "Warning !!! The previous performance of overclocking is failed, and the system is restored to the defaults setting"

I've had this problem before when i put in some weird ram, and i then put in my older ram and it fixed it (it turned out to be i didn't increase the voltage to 2.1v...). I'll try to increase the voltage on the ram and put in the 4870 again.

sailer

Splendid
Try unplugging the keyboard and then plugging it back into a different socket. I've had occasion in the past that a keyboard will seemingly die, but plugging it in elsewhere will wake it back up. Also, if you have or can find a PS/2 keyboard, try that and see if the computer will work correctly. Big thing here is getting into the BIOS to check and make sure nothing has changed. If nothing else, you can try setting the whole BIOS/CMOS back to default and see if the computer starts normally.

I noticed the warning in the link that you provided which says "there seems to some issues with it, ". You may have run into one of the issues. Maybe, don't know for sure, but maybe the changed video card is crashing the computer during the start so that the keyboard doesn't work. Because the monitor stays black, you aren't realizing what's happening. And yes, try what copasetic suggested, using your old video card ans see what happens. If everything works correctly with the old card, but not the new one, you probably screwed that nice, new card and need to RMA it and hope they replace it with no questions asked.

MegaGamer3

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Thanks for the help everyone... I've determined that i jacked up my card... Now lets all sit around the camp fire and laugh about my stupidity! :pt1cable: . Uh, i also have a question. Is it possible for me to plug my 4870 into another pci-e slot on my motherboard and flash it to the old version, or will i just have to RMA it?

Thanks for the help again

Emperor36

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2007

This is correct, you can put it in another pci-e slot and re-flash it. to the old one, but if your card doesn't work, then RMA it immediately

Good luck man

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

you shouldn't touch that card yet.. wait for stable drivers, bios.. all those drivers just came out after beta.. dang..
i don'tknow what to say.. try to put your card in other pc..

_orbital_

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2008

you should install at least some usb drivers

MegaGamer3

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
Sorry, i haven't been able to post for a while. Well, i can get the 9600gt to run with the 4870 and get into windows, but all of the programs are amazingly slow. I figured this was due to the fact that i haven't installed drivers for the 9600gt ( i know... but i figured the 9600 drivers would mess up the ability to put a 4870 in the same computer). So i got ATIWinFlash, and whenever i try to use it, it either has the hourglass for a split-second or it pegs one core of my quad core on full load, and then still doesn't work. So, is there a way for me to get ATIWinFlash to work?

jobongo

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Why don't you try using atiflash. You can get it from here http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/1061/ATIFlash_3.59.html . I used it to flash a couple 2900pros to xt and some other stuff and it worked great. You have to use it in DOS so here is a good bootable flash drive progam http://www.bootdisk.com/pendrive.htm . Just create the bootable usb stick and put atifllash on it with the original bios in the same directory. Once you boot into the USB stick you should be able to follow the help instructions by just typing atiflash in the command line. Let me know if this helps.

MegaGamer3

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2008
These guys figured out how to reflash bricked cards. Give it a read, seems fairly staightforward.
Goodluck.

http://www.techpowerup.com/article [...] idcard/152

Thank you!
This thing worked, just create a bootable disk (i used a floppy..) from here http://www.bootdisk.com/ and then just follow the instructions from the link that morerevs provided. Thanks to all that helped, and hope this helps the people that noobed it up (like me :) ).

mr roboto

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2007
WinFlash is what's bricking the 4870's as it only flashes 64kb BIOS files. The 4870's are 128kb due to the GDDR5 RAM. Use ATIFlash and you're good to go. I modded my 4870 BIOS fan serttings with no prob using ATIFlash 3.60.

TRENDING THREADS