ATI 4870 X2 doesn't run in crossfire

G

Hey, guys I have a problem.

I use this 4870 X2 for a while now and always wondering why the performance is sometimes pretty low. So I tested Crysis 2 and the performance was kinda bad. I downloaded GPU-Z then and I saw that it says: "ATI CrossFire disabled (CrossFire available)". :heink:

So to test this I disabled Catalyst AI in the CCC and the performance stays the same, no difference between ON and OFF.

Then I ran rivaTuner background hardware monitoring and found out that while playing GPU0 goes to 100% and GPU1 does nothing.

BTW: I do have the very latest drivers from the ATI website.
So does anyone what to do? I don't wanna play games with only a single 4870 if I have 2.

Hello and welcome to the forums
What are your system spec and the OS you're using ? also AFAIK,it isn't possible to disable the CF with the latest drivers(for cards like 5970,4870X2 etc.) There is an option to set the AI to performance,high quality etc. but none of them disables it.

G

My Specs are:
GPU: ATI 4870 X2
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 955
4 GB RAM

And there is definitely an option to disable Catalyst AI.

could be a underpowered psu me thinks.
what is your psu brand and model ect ?
I have a Coolermaster PSU 520W.

Derbixrace

Distinguished
May 26, 2008
yep that psu is FAAAR too weak! you should get atleast a 850w PSU if you intend to run quadfire.

EDIT: sorry i thought you were running 2x 4870x2. well for crossfire 4870 you should atleast have a 650w+ PSU of a good brand.

G

your psu is your problem you need 600 watt minimum to run 4870 cf.
i would recommend this:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139020&cm_re=corsair_tx650-_-17-139-020-_-Product
Omg really? Ive been using that thing forever and always had a too weak PSU dammit.
lol anyways.
I think I will be able to find something, thx guys.

+1^ definitely get a better PSU.
Oh and I first guessed that you have 2 4870s not a 4870X2 because there aren't any options to disable CF for cards like 5970 with drivers higher than 10.10(unless AMD didn't remove this option fro 4xxx series)