ATI 4870x2 trounces the 280gtx

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
well then , the early test from tom's is in , the drivers arent much cop yet , but both nvidia and ati are both culprits for getting the drivers efficent in time for the hardware release , but the tests clearly show that the 4870x2 is the new king of the graphics cards. totally winning on the most important game - crysis. all us ati fans can say one thing .... told you so.
even toms crown it as the new 1st place card. hurrah for all the ati fans out there and nvidia heres your wake up call :)
nuff said!

Faster than SLI'd 280GTX's. [:mousemonkey:2] , which with two GPU's is what it should be compared to.

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007
Actually, the 4870X2 should be compared to SLI'd GTX 260s considering that the 4870 and 260 usually trade blows in both price and performance so their doubles (SLI and the X2) should be compared in terms of price and performance as well. But if the 4870X2 is beating the GTX 280 in SLI, then I guess that's that, lol.

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
aye true but prices are always slightly inflated upon release as the 'rich kids' will always buy it asap just to be first with one regardless of cost , hence all manufacturers cash in on this 'easy money' time period , give it a couple of months and it will drop in price.

Faster than SLI'd 280GTX's. [:mousemonkey:2] , which with two GPU's is what it should be compared to.

nope , its still a single card and unless they release a 280gtx x2 then thats poppy **** , two RV700's are comparable to the size of a single gtx GPU afaik. also price wise 2 times 280 gtx would be a hell of alot more expensive , when the 4870x2 price drops after initial rush then it will cost similar amounts to own 2 of them , therefore a comparision of 3x280gtx agianst 2x4870X2 should be done , id expect the ati to still come out on top tbh.

i figured this would cause a mass feedback , but im interested to see opinions on both fronts :)

Link to source please.

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Its still the fastest single card out there, like all you Nvidia boys were claiming about the 280 not long ago. If it uses one slot its one card.

Besides 2x 280= $800= bomb.

Also the precious 280 was $650 when it came out, and the only reason it came down was pressure from ATI using to cards in xfire for way less $$ was still better bang for buck.

The 4870 x2 will come down when Nvidia can put the presuure on again, but it wont be to soon since Nvidia stocks have dropped 52% lately due to all the bad chips in mobile and the poor performing chipsets.

IMHO two GPU's should be compared with two GPU's because regardless of whether they share the same PCB or not Crossfire or SLI drivers are still utilised.

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
i think he miss understood you tbh , your qoute on first post gave the impression you ment it was faster , the little emote of deep thought was a bit subtle :). i knew what you ment though.

on that front though looking at the figures it will be a close run thing between sli'd 280gtx and a 4870X2 , different games will produce different winners . i.e i suspect Race Driver Grid to be won by the ati solution , but Crysis to come out on top with nvidia's due to raw processing power , but the price would play a definative part , as for a little extra i could have
Two 4870X2's! which would destroy all tbh. i cant wait to see those results when someone finally does it and the drivers work well :)

xxjudgmentxx

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006

2 PCBs = 2 slots = fail

you can't really compare 2 cards to one even if there are dual GPUs on a single card.

mathiasschnell

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2007

Wasn't quite what I was trying to say. I thought you were the one who was claiming 4870X2 > SLI GTX 280s first, but regardless, here.

http://www.anandtech.com/video/showdoc.aspx?i=3372&p=4

Seems like in about 3/4 of those games the 4870X2 comes out on top, which could be attributed to the 1 GB of GDDR5 per core.

Actually, the scaling for two 4870X2s is pretty bad, sometimes even makes them perform worse. Whether this is because of drivers, not enough CPU power or simply all the cores not being utilized is anyone's guess.

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
IMHO two GPU's should be compared with two GPU's because regardless of whether they share the same PCB or not Crossfire or SLI drivers are still utilised.

i disagree , its still a single card solution , if you havent got an sli board or a crossfire board then this is the only way.
does that make it unfair to compare the E8400 to the AMD phenom? due to different amount of cores? no as there still on one solution. but if i was to compare the E9450 on a single board to a skulltrail setup with 2 processors on then yes as there seperate entitys.

anyway before we yell about it lets see what the results regarding what you suggest , i.e 4870X2 vs 280gtx sli . might still be a close run thing.

Why didn't you post this page? http://hothardware.com/Articles/ATI-Radeon-HD-4870-X2--AMD-Back-On-Top/?page=7 or this one http://hothardware.com/Articles/ATI-Radeon-HD-4870-X2--AMD-Back-On-Top/?page=8 or this, the all important Crysis one http://hothardware.com/Articles/ATI-Radeon-HD-4870-X2--AMD-Back-On-Top/?page=8 20FPS in the wrong direction perhaps? [:mousemonkey:2]

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
i apologize mathiasschnell , but glad i have too tbh :D thanks for link and theres your proof mousemonkey :)

also as i said the nvidia solution was bound to beat it in crysis , but 20fps for how much more money!!!. one game aint a big victory especially at that margin :)

xxjudgmentxx

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006

you're still comparing $800 to $550 where the $800 setup only wins some of the time and not always by more than a few FPS

Not loading for me at the moment so I'll have to take a look later, but for now I like your link to a review that shows the SLi setup on top. :D

http://www.hothardware.com/articleimages/Item1197/cry.png

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007
Mousemonkey, you ere one of those peeps claiming the 280 was the best single card, well now its not. If it fits in one PCI E slot its one card, it dont matter how you look at it. ATI wins this round, get over it! Nvidia might come back after they dig out of the current Crysis they are in.

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
until either AMD or Nvidia can put two cores in one die or at "least" have shared memory, two GPU's in one PCB is still just a fancy Xfire or SLI.

So the 4870 X2 is still Xfire with some extra ram for "each" GPU. Hence, it should be compared to two 280GTX in SLI. Two GPU's with separate memory, same difference.

xxjudgmentxx

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006

you mean an NVIDIA optimized game runs better on NVIDIA hardware?

no way!

roadrunner197069

Splendid
Sep 3, 2007

No matter how much you cry, 1 slot = 1 card.

xxjudgmentxx

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2006

you cant compare a two-slot solution to a single-slot solution.
2 gtx280s is the max you can have (let's be real, tri-SLI isn't all that great)

one 4870X2 is only half of your motherboard's potential graphics power

IMO, 2 GPUs can and should be compared to one in many cases. However, the price should be considered when making the comparison (so a pair of 280s would need to be quite a bit better than a single 4870x2 to be worth it, due to the extra cost).

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006

Not crying that goes for Nvidia or AMD/ATI (2 GPU's with individual non shared memory, still using X-Fire or SLI is still two cards on one PCB, not one true single card.)

The sad thing is they will be marketed as 2GB cards and poor newbs won't even realize its still just 1GB, just like the guys who believe their X2 cards have 1GB of RAM when each GPU can only use 512 and thats the limit.

samuraiblade

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
you mean an NVIDIA optimized game runs better on NVIDIA hardware?

no way!
rofl , touchay!

if we wanna quote optimized games shall we look at Race Driver GRID mousemonkey? :)

Mousemonkey, you ere one of those peeps claiming the 280 was the best single card, well now its not. If it fits in one PCI E slot its one card, it dont matter how you look at it. ATI wins this round, get over it! Nvidia might come back after they dig out of the current Crysis they are in.

lol subtle i like it :)