Ati 5670 vs Nvidia 240 vs ...?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

XyzLegend

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010
Hi, I'm looking to getting an Ati 5670 or a Nvidia 240 to last me around 1~2 years. It will be temporary of course, till I save enough money up from my 1st job :D

So my question, is it worth getting a Ati 5670 or Nvidia 240 over my current 9400gt, if so, which one?

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: From now to the end of the year, possibly before September if I can make up my mind.

BUDGET RANGE:
90~170ish$

USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: High/Med Gaming, I know I can't really achieve this much with the size case I'm limited to :(
Game I want to play on High-ish/Medium:
Metro 2033
Left 4 Dead 2
Singularity
Killing Floor <--Not really that demanding
Other Source games, such as l4d, Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2, Portal...etc.
Starcraft 2
Bioshock 1 and 2

CURRENT GPU AND POWER SUPPLY: Nvidia 9400gt & a 400w power supply, but I may get a bigger power if needed

OTHER RELEVANT SYSTEM SPECS: Windows 7 Home Premium, Can fit only a 6.6inch length or around there graphics card because my case/motherboard is so small. 4gb of RAM. 1 year old desktop. 1 Fan/No extra cooling system :sweat:

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: (e.g.: newegg.com, ncix.com -- to show us selection & pricing) COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: United States, Northeast coast.

PARTS PREFERENCES: I want Dx11, but if there is a WAY better card in Performance, let me know.

OVERCLOCKING:Not likely because I do not own a good cooling system at the moment. SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe, probably not due to not enough Slots/not big enough

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Monitor is 1680x1050, but I can accept playing games at 1280x???? or above.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Do they make gpu extension cords ? :D
p.s. I heard the Ati 5770 is a better choice instead of a 5670 if I were targeted toward that...since I do like Dx11 :p
p.s.s. If you recommend me any other cards, tell me why cause I am not very smart with cards at the moment.

Keep in mind I can only hold around 6 inches of length for a card! (small case)

EDIT:
Do you think it would be ok running a 400 psu on the 5770 which is rated at 450+ psu instead? Cause I don't want to get a whole new psu just for 50w :sarcastic:

Solution
Is it possible to take a pic of the motherboard/card? What you are describing sounds pretty odd. When you say it doesn't have a cooler do you mean it doesn't have a fan? If that is the case some of the passively cooled cards actually have a heatsink that wraps around the back which may be why you think your ram will be in the way. On most cards the back is totally flat so you might have a lot more room than you think.
FYI that Visiontek card is insanely overpriced for an HD5670.
The XFX card does have a DVI port btw and is a much better buy but it is still overpriced. For that card you should ignore the different memory sizes. The HD5670 isn't powerful enough to effectively use more than 512mb of ram so it really doesn't matter. This...

XyzLegend

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2010

haha, that might of been a better choice, but I wanted to say the extra ~50$ for a game or something xD

parkcorman

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
Hey its my first time posting on here so i hope i dont screw up too badly
but i am also building a computer so i have been looking for a reasonable card for the price as well
Everyone is suggesting you to push towards the 5750 but i vote for the gt240

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PzSeyP4528
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/geforce-gt-240,2475.html

and most directly:

http://techreport.com/articles.x/18288/2

They all sort of support the 5670 to some extent but you will notice that the GT240 will be trailing it at 5-10 fps behind it on most games except for L4D2 according to the latter review

But then looking at the price ranges:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500146&cm_re=zotac_gt240-_-14-500-146-_-Product
65$ AR Price tag is really hard to pass up
while 5670's go for at the least 90$ with the 80$ being sold out

5670's directx 11 is passable as dx11 games are high end games and 5670 is a entry/mediocre
eyefinity is a joke for my purposes, why would i buy 3 monitors and a sub100$ card

the gt240 gets straight to the point also addressing the fact that 1gb vs 512mb are almost identical (Referring to the 2nd link)

Not only that the zotac amp 240 gets really good reviews on fan and temperature controls

I think i spent too much time looking up the differences

Edit: OK this is fail b/c it says you can only house 6.5inch cards so that pretty much limits you to 5760

Welcome to the forums but for future reference you should start your own thread rather than adding on to one made by someone else. That is what you should do if you still have questions after this post.
The HD5670 is in general over 20% faster than the GT 240 which is really nothing to dismiss. DX11 is nice to have but you are correct that it shouldn't be a priority in this price/performance area. That it happens to come with the better card is just a plus.
The card you linked is both out of stock and including shipping it is $101 before rebate and $71 after. This HD5670 is $15 less before rebate and a dollar less after;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102870
It is faster, DX11 and a better brand.
There are also 9800GTs that are both cheaper and better.
In general for $100 the best card for the money is the HD4850 which is a class above the other cards we are discussing but does have higher power requirements.

TRENDING THREADS