ATI 5850 Win7 Driver Issues?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
OK I am about to start pulling my hair out because I am at a loss. I have this specific card: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150455 installed in a brand new build based on a AMD Phenom II x4 965 with a MSI 790FX-GD70 MB.

The build went together absolutely headache free and was up and running for almost 24 hours before I tried to install the driver for the video card. At that time Win7 Pro 64bit would pop up and error that read "Video Display Driver stopped responding and has successfully recovered" but then it just does the same thing a couple more times and then the system just locks up.

I thought I screwed something up the first time with trying to D/L the driver. I ended up re-installing Win7 and started over with a clean D/L of the newest driver from XFX's website. Everything seemed to work fine and I was playing around with STEAM and D/Ling the Dirt game that came with the card. The system ran stable for maybe an hour or so and now it started the same thing and locks up shortly after reboot displaying the same driver error.

Any ideas on what I should try? Should I find a driver straight from ATI? It looks like the driver IS from ATI and XFX is just distributing it. I downloaded what should be the proper driver. It was for Win7 64bit and I downloaded the file marked display driver only. I don't think it is a hardware issue as it ran fine with a generic VGA driver when Win7 first installed. I believe it is a software issue.

Thanks,

-Joe

69Rocket-Joe

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

On the MSI forum they are blaming the G.Skill memory, but some say there is issues even with other brands. So I honestly don't know. I'm going to send an email to MSI and see if they suggest a BIOS flash.

-Joe

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
damn yeah, esp since I would test each part individually, if not in the same machine but in a similar machine and all that would do would just say yap all the parts work on their own and unless I get a completely new setup with new mobo, new ram, new etc, I doubt I can troubleshoot it down to a compat unless google shows up something, or the manuf's support line is good.