ATI 8500 problems

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hi all,

About 3 months I bought an ATI 8500 64Mb for my old K6-2 machine, just to take advantage of the dual ouput (TV + monitor) and see some films.

Now I decide to change my GF3 for the ATI 8500 in my first PC, XP1700+. To my surprise and because now I use it for gaming, I realize that usually I get flickering triangles and strange lines (like from corners to the center of the monitor) when playing modern games or even running 3DMark 2001 (curiously in some part much more than others; for instance, the view of the sea looks perfect, no problem)

Any idea of what happen and what to do? I am using standard drivers, nothing modifyed ... Reinstall drivers? Bad card that now am I able to realize due that I'm "forcing" when playing games?

Note that quality when playing movies is perfect, no problems at all.

Thanks for your help!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
So you had a GF3 before you installed the Radeon? Have you run any driver cleaner programs or tried reinstalling the operating system?

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
I have uninstall everything from nvidia using standard Windows option. They I restart the PC and, after dectecting as "standard VGA adapter" and going into windows, install ATI drivers.

Do you think the problems could be "dirty leaved by nvidia's driver" related? I can redo the process, but reinstall the whole system due to change in graphic card ... seems to me quite a high cost!

markgun

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2002
Do you think the problems could be "dirty leaved by nvidia's driver" related?
Yep, that's what I think.

Here’s what I would do:
1.Make sure the nVidia and ATI drivers are both uninstalled
2.Run <A HREF="http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/download/DCSetup_19.zip" target="_new"> Driver Cleaner</A> and run it twice for “nVidia” and “ATI”
3.Uninstall your agp/chipset drivers and reinstall (preferably the latest ones) them. You may or may not have to do this one.
4.Install the latest Cats (3.6?)

<b>Qui habet aures audiendi audiat</b>

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
Hi again,

Well, this weekend I have been busy installing and uninstalling drivers, etc. The worst of it is that the problem it DOESN'T seem driver related.

After some trials & errors, I installed a utility to change frecuency. Because it's really hot this year in my country, and card fails only in some cases, I suspect the core where too hot and when, for instance, vertex have to work hard, they produce unexpected results.

So core down to 210Mhz, run 3DMark and ... still fails. So, let's see memory also to 210Mhz and ... no problem this time, 3DMark looks perfect. Memory is rated 3,6ns, so it should run at 275 with no problem! Hell, don't know if one of the memory modules is not so good or what else, but that's for sure the problem. I raise core to 250Mhz and again, works perfect. So memory is the problem.

Any suggestions? The only thing that comes to my mind is to attach some old HSF (cut it to match memory modules) with artic silver. Is going to help a lot? Or if one memory is bad, it will still create those bugs on screen? Should I use some glue to make sure my "home-made" HSF don't fall?

Thanks in advance for your response.