ATI 9100+LINUX?????

svistras

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
I recently bought a sapphire radeon 9100 64MB and despite the fact that it uses R200 as 8500 and 8500LE i cant make it work under linux nor by using ATI linux drivers nor by using gatos ati.2. The only way to work is using vesa generic drivers but the system is very slow. PLEASE help
Thanks in advance

svistras

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
i forgot to say that i'm using redhat 8 ( 2.4.18 kernel )and xfree 4.2.0, most of the times that fglrx fails its because the module fails to insmod and i get no screens found message when i startx, also depmod for radeon.o fails when i try to use gatos

thank God for ATHLON

svistras

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2003
i give the output of trying to install fglrx in my box:
after rpm -i --force the rpm , i cd to /lib/modules/fglrx/built_mod and execute the make script that exists there. After creating the module i cd to /lib/modules/fglrx and get the following message:

[root@localhost fglrx]# pwd
/lib/modules/fglrx

[root@localhost fglrx]# ./make_install.sh
- creating symlink
- recreating module dependency list
- trying a sample load of the kernel module
Warning: loading /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o will taint the kernel: non-GPL license - Proprietary. (C) 2002 - ATI Technologies, Starnberg, GERMANY
See http://www.tux.org/lkml/#export-tainted for information about tainted modules
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o: init_module: No such device
Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o failed
/lib/modules/2.4.18-14/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o: insmod fglrx failed
failed.

thank God for ATHLON

poorboy

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2002
Hi.

First thing is to back up a bit and look at why you have to force the rpm? Can you install with rpm -Uvh (or just rpm -i)? If not, what does it depend on / conflict with?

I'm no ATI expert (bad pun), but it looks like something that should work for you.

Like I posted earlier, you could take a look at XiG's drivers. Easy install and nice to use, but non-free.

<i>Wake up, Neo</i>