ATi 9800 plug in molex

Hi All
Does the plug in molex use the 5v,12v or both
Ta for any inf
Smiffy

Remember you video card is an expensive piece of kit, just plug in the god
damn molex plug and dont try to be clever.

CrimsonLiar

"John Smith" <zilch@zilch.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
> Does the plug in molex use the 5v,12v or both
> Ta for any inf
> Smiffy

All 4 pins from the female connector on the card lead to somewhere, so I'd
assume it uses both. Though you are welcome to try cutting the 5V and seeing
what happens...

"John Smith" <zilch@zilch.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
> Does the plug in molex use the 5v,12v or both
> Ta for any inf
> Smiffy

Ta all for the inf

Smiffy

> All 4 pins from the female connector on the card lead to somewhere, so I'd
> assume it uses both. Though you are welcome to try cutting the 5V and
seeing
> what happens...

> "John Smith" <zilch@zilch.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All
> > Does the plug in molex use the 5v,12v or both
> > Ta for any inf
> > Smiffy

Whatever the HDD voltage is, since that is where it is connected to.

"John Smith" <zilch@zilch.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
> Does the plug in molex use the 5v,12v or both
> Ta for any inf
> Smiffy

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

> "John Smith" <zilch@zilch.com> wrote in message
> > Hi All
> > Does the plug in molex use the 5v,12v or both
> > Ta for any inf
> > Smiffy

I really don't know.

"Blahguy" <z@z.z> wrote in message
> Whatever the HDD voltage is, since that is where it is connected to.

Molex connectors supply both 12v (yellow+black wires) and 5v (red+black) so
your answer doesn't really help him.

clint

As I understand it, both. One of the colored wires is the 12v positive, the
other one is the 5V positive. The blacks are the ground for each one. I'm
not sure if there's any standards regarding color, but I'm sure that there
is regarding the position. A quick search for "molex 12v 5v" turns up a
number of interesting links, including
http://www.heatsink-guide.com/psplug.htm, indicating you can get 12v, 5v, or
the difference between the two, 7v. Not sure I'd play around with that on
my $200 video card, though.

Clint

"John Smith" <zilch@zilch.com> wrote in message
> Hi All
> Does the plug in molex use the 5v,12v or both
> Ta for any inf
> Smiffy

Yellow is 12 V, red is 5. Yes, while make custom fan harnesses, some people
mistakenly connect the fan's red wire to the 5V line, only to see the fan
spinning slowly or not at all.

"Clint" <cneufeld@mysocks.shaw.ca> wrote in message
> As I understand it, both. One of the colored wires is the 12v positive,
the
> other one is the 5V positive. The blacks are the ground for each one.
I'm
> not sure if there's any standards regarding color, but I'm sure that there
> is regarding the position. A quick search for "molex 12v 5v" turns up a
> number of interesting links, including
> http://www.heatsink-guide.com/psplug.htm, indicating you can get 12v, 5v,
or
> the difference between the two, 7v. Not sure I'd play around with that on
> my $200 video card, though.
>
> Clint

TRENDING THREADS