ATI AIW 8500DV

saulatz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
Hi,

I want to build my PC and I do need the PC for video editing. Also I need a good sound card as I want to play good quality sound on my PC. As I'm not into gaming, I think I can manage without very good graphics card.

I was thinking for going for AMD Athlon XP 1600 with a motherboard having VIA KT266 or KT266A motherboard, a Creative Sound Blaster Audigy Platinum sound card which also have a IEEE 1394 port, and an ATI All-in-wonder RADEON 8500DV graphics card.

Now, I'm wondering, is ATI 8500DV is as good into video capturing as it is in graphics/3D? And what about the sound quality? I can drop the idea of Creative Audigy card if ATI provides good sound. Or I can go for Creative Audigy with a very good video capture card and can drop the idea of ATI graphics card and instead will go for cheaper Nvdia GeForce 2. Also about capturing, I just need a IEEE 1394 port as my source is in DV format.

I can't afford all the three above listed cards - sound card, graphics card and the video capture card.

If anybody can please advice me. Also, if anybody can suggest me some other alternatives, like some differnet motherboard with differnet combinations of cards.

Thanks you very much in advance for your advice.

Regards.

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
I'm just wondering how an ATI VIDEO card could provide sound!
Go with an nForce mobo with the 420-D chipset (like Asus A7N26-E) if you're only in for DV editing, and get Pinnacle Studio DV 7, which comes with a IEEE-1394 port card and editing software. You'll save big bucks. The 420D nForce has integrated Dolby Digital sound and GeForce2 video. Add a pair of 256Mb DDR modules to take advantage of the dual channel RAM and you're in business.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
The AIW 8500 does not capture sound by itself. It sends the sound to your sound card using the included pass-through cable.

The AIW 8500 is overkill here. If all you are capturing from is a DV camcorder than the firewire ports in the Audigy will be sufficient. Capture cards are used for capturing from analog sources, not digital.

My recommendation: get the Audigy (not necessarly Platinium, any Audigy will do) and either a Matrox or a Radeon 7500 (non-AIW) video card. They both give 2D performance superior to any GF card. Use the rest of your money on video editing software.

If you really need to capture from analog sources then get a seperate PCI capture card. The advantage is that later on you can upgrade your capture card without being forced to upgrade your video card at the same time (and vice-versa).

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

G

Sorry but the ATI card (8500) is not known as good for video editing with lot's of Hardware OverLay problems.

I will look for a stand alone Fire Wire card for the DV/IEEE1394. This way you will also be able to upgrade simpley.
Some of the higher end capture cards will not like you to have the DV on the Radeon or the Audigy.

The ATI 7500 is reported to have much better Hardware OverLay and a Stand alone Fire wire card is less then 25$ and will come with a small video editing program and the cable to connect to your camera.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

Oracle

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2002
ATi Radeon 7500 is way better than GeForce2, but since you are not playing games, GeForce2 is more than enough.

<font color=red>Floppy disk?!? What the heck's a floppy disk?!?</font color=red>

G

But, I hear good things about the Audigy and video capturing.

Intel / AMD - <A HREF="http://www.llnl.gov/asci/news/white_news.html" target="_new">IBM are still the best</A>

arsend

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2001
Here is what I would suggest to get the most bang for your buck. First, get the Audigy soundcard, then get the new AIW Radeon 7500. It ofers the same features that the AIW 8500-D, with the exception of the firewire port and faster GPU, or if you do not need to have analog inputs, just get the Radeon 7500. It will allow you not only to use two monitors but will also let you output your signal to a TV so you will be able to see what the picture will look like on a normal screen (something very important if you intend to transfer it to VHS. If you are going to being doing Video editing, I highly recommend a system with the bare minimum specs:
Pentuim 1GHZ or AMD 1400+
NON-VIA MOTHERBOARD
512 MB of DDR Memory
3 HD, one for OS and Programs (20-30GB Should do), 2 for a RAID Array.(40-100GB per HD should do)
Windows 2000 or XP Professional

PS- the New AIW Radeon 7500 is not out yet, but should arrive within the next few weeks.

If it works for you then don't fix it.

saulatz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
I think I'll go for Audigy and Radeon 7500 (no AIW). But why NON-VIA motherboard. Are VIA motherboards r not good enough. Can u suggest some other motherboard?

FatBurger

Illustrious
The motherboard is fine, but the sound card is not. I never recommend Creative cards, since their drivers simply suck. Check out the Hercules Game Theater XP, I've been using it for a few months now and I love it.

<font color=orange>Quarter</font color=orange> <font color=blue>Pounder</font color=blue> <font color=orange>Inside</font color=orange>

knowan

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2001
Some people will say go for this and some people will say go for that. All I can say is that Creative and VIA have a history of not working well together. Most modern boards will work fine, but there still are a small minority who are experiencing difficulties, especially with SB Live and VIA chipsets.

--------------
Knowan likes you. Knowan is your friend. Knowan thinks you're great.

labdog

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2001
<blockquote><font size=1>En réponse à:</font><hr><p>Sorry but the ATI card (8500) is not known as good for video editing with lot's of Hardware OverLay problems.<p><hr></blockquote><p>what are your sources ?

if you know you don't know, the way could be more easy.