ATI AIW 9800 help?

cjannick

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
I am having problems getting the ATI All-in-wonder 9800 pro video card working with my PC. I am running XPP on an Asus P4P800 deluxe MB with a P4 2.4ghz/533mhz processor. With no drivers installed I can boot into the OS. Once the ATI drivers are installed the machine hangs just before the XP splash screen. If I go to safe mode and remove the drivers the machine will boot fine and then want to install the drivers again. I have updated the bios to the lastest rev available on ASUS' site, and have the most recent ATI drivers. I have tried letting the OS install the drivers and have tried having the ATI software do the install. Any help out there? I see lots of bench marks and posts from people who have a similar combo, but can't figure out what I'm doing wrong.

G

Captain Obvious suggests that you turn off some of your AGP settings in the BIOS! Fast Writes and Sideband addressing.

The Captain also recommends an AGP apature size of 128mb or 256mb!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>

Newbie237

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2003
What exactly is the AGP apature size ?? (I have the same video card and was wondering what was this thing in the BIOS)

---------------------
Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
P4 3.0GHz HT
1Gb Corsair XMS PC3200LLPT
ATI A-i-W Radeon 9800 Pro
WD 200Gb SATA
Lite-on IDE Combo Drive
Win XP Pro SP1

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's how much RAM the system is allowed to use for caching textures, just set it at 128MB and forget about it.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It could be a power problem, installing the driver turns on some components within the card, causing it to draw more power.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

cjannick

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
I have tried 64, 128, and 256. None of them seemed to matter. It seems to be something driver oriented because, like I posted earlier, it works fine with no drivers loaded, but stops after the drivers are loaded. Any other thoughts? Is a 400w PS big enough?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It depends on whether the 400w power supply in question is really providing 400w, as many cheap power supplies are overrated.

cjannick

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2003
I bought an antec case specifically to avoid the issue you are referring to. I will check the bios to see if there are any readings on it in the bios settings. Thanks

G

Captain Obvious says that fast Writes are chngable in the BIOS under the AGP settings!
Sindband addressing usually isn't an issue, and is controlled by the driver!

<b><font color=red>Captain Obvious To The Rescue!!!</font color=red></b>