ATI All-in-wonder 9600 Bios Settings

Hi. I will be putting together a custom system and would like some advice
and feedback regarding bios settings. I will be installing an ATI
All-in-wonder 9600 in a MSI K8T Neo2-F motherboard.

How do I enable 8x AGP mode? The options in the bios are 1x, 2x, 4x and
auto. I assume I just select auto and that will set it to 8x, right?

Does the All-in-wonder 9600 support "Fast Write"? Should I enable it in the
bios?

Is 128MB the proper aperture size?

What is vlink 8x? Does the All-in-wonder 9600 support it? And should I
enable it?

For AGP frequency my options are synch with CPU, 66 MHz and 75.4 MHz. I
assume synch with CPU is best, right?

Any reason not to set AGP voltage to auto? I don't plan on overclocking.

Any issues with driver/software installation? Any thing else I should be
aware of?

Thanks in advance.

answers in line
If all else fails read the manual that cane with the board!!
peterk

the problem
"Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message
> Hi. I will be putting together a custom system and would like some advice
> and feedback regarding bios settings. I will be installing an ATI
> All-in-wonder 9600 in a MSI K8T Neo2-F motherboard.
>

> How do I enable 8x AGP mode? The options in the bios are 1x, 2x, 4x and
> auto. I assume I just select auto and that will set it to 8x, right?
>
> yes
>
> Does the All-in-wonder 9600 support "Fast Write"? Should I enable it in
> the bios?
>
> yes
>
> Is 128MB the proper aperture size?
>
> yes
>
> What is vlink 8x? Does the All-in-wonder 9600 support it? And should I
> enable it?
>
> no idea
>
> For AGP frequency my options are synch with CPU, 66 MHz and 75.4 MHz. I
> assume synch with CPU is best, right?
>
> yes......
>
> Any reason not to set AGP voltage to auto? I don't plan on overclocking.
>
> no
>
> Any issues with driver/software installation? Any thing else I should be
> aware of?
>
> no
>
> Thanks in advance.

"Arthur Lipscomb" <arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote in message
> Hi. I will be putting together a custom system and would like some advice
> and feedback regarding bios settings. I will be installing an ATI
> All-in-wonder 9600 in a MSI K8T Neo2-F motherboard.

I have a 9600 xt aiw running on a dfi nforce 3 landparty ut , sempron
2800...

agp ver 3.0
8x
aperature 128
side band enabled

This card is more fussy compared to my hauppauge install of a 150 pci
card...

The aiw has some other features I required, like the divx feature, and video
soap.

Both cards are satisfactory for me.

xman

On Fri, 5 Aug 2005 19:56:23 -0700, "Arthur Lipscomb"
<arthur@alum.calberkeley.org> wrote:

>Hi. I will be putting together a custom system and would like some advice
>and feedback regarding bios settings. I will be installing an ATI
>All-in-wonder 9600 in a MSI K8T Neo2-F motherboard.
>

>How do I enable 8x AGP mode? The options in the bios are 1x, 2x, 4x and
>auto. I assume I just select auto and that will set it to 8x, right?

That should do it. When you've installed the display driver, capture
driver and Control Panel, go to the Control Panel (Display Properties
-> Settings -> Advanced) and look under the Smartgart tab - that
should show you what AGP speed you are actually using.

>Does the All-in-wonder 9600 support "Fast Write"? Should I enable it in the
>bios?

It's generally advised not to enable Fast Write for stability reasons.
However, the 9600 is the one Radeon card that at one time ATI
recommended enabling Fast Writes for; apparently, though, it's no
longer recommended with more recent drivers.

There is another issue, though: the latest Windows Media Player
version apparently needs Fast Writes enabled to use hardware decoding;
I must say this is something I haven't concerned myself with. Look
through the group for other references to this.

>Is 128MB the proper aperture size?

Should be fine. People recommend all sorts of settings for different
purposes, particularly gaming, but in a modern system, 128MB is a good
all-round setting.

>What is vlink 8x? Does the All-in-wonder 9600 support it? And should I
>enable it?

See http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=8&var1=0&var2=166
and learn to use Google (first link given for a search on "vlink 8x").
Also learn to RTFM, to paraphrase peterk's response.

>For AGP frequency my options are synch with CPU, 66 MHz and 75.4 MHz. I
>assume synch with CPU is best, right?

AGP frequency is normally 66 MHz. If your FSB:AGP:pCI ratio is
correctly set, which it should be if you've let the BIOS set it, I
presume synch with CPU should also be fine. You're the one with the
mobo manual.

>Any reason not to set AGP voltage to auto? I don't plan on overclocking.

No

>Any issues with driver/software installation? Any thing else I should be
>aware of?

I've had a couple of 9600 range cards: an ASUS 9600XT and a Sapphire
9600 Pro, both VIVO cards. I wasn't impressed with the ASUS card; the
Sapphire was an excellent card for its level. I had no
driver/software problems with either, except not being able to install
and run the TV/Video In app of the MMC suite. This was to be expected
of non "Built by ATI" cards; if yours is a "Built by" card, I don't
anticipate you should have any problems as long as you install the
card, drivers and software correctly and have no other issues with
your system.

>Thanks in advance.

You're welcome. All comments made with a ;-)

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

Greg

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

If those are your bios choices then you don't have a 8X AGP board. Besides
aren't the 9600's 4X at highest? The general recommendation is turn fast
writes off, my 9800 works fine with that setting on though. Your aperture
size should be at least equal to your on card memory amount but more is OK,
you didn't say how much memory your card has.

On Mon, 8 Aug 2005 11:12:32 -0700, "Greg" <gregorysutton@comcast.net>
wrote:

>If those are your bios choices then you don't have a 8X AGP board. Besides
>aren't the 9600's 4X at highest? The general recommendation is turn fast
>writes off, my 9800 works fine with that setting on though. Your aperture
>size should be at least equal to your on card memory amount but more is OK,
>you didn't say how much memory your card has.

<snip>

No, Greg, the 9600s are definitely 8x AGP capable.

Patrick

<patrickp@5acoustibop.co.uk> - take five to email me...

By ATI site, AIW 9600 is 8x AGP.
BY MST site, MB is 8x AGP capable.