ATI All-in-Wonder - blank video playback windows

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
I have an ATI All-in-Wonder 9000 Pro video card. I've got it hooked up to my cable TV input and it's able to show TV programs and record them without any trouble. I've also connected my TV to the s-video output of the card, such that I get simultaneous displays on both my computer monitor and the TV. This works for most normal windows programs, including games, though at high resolutions the s-video output pans around the larger virtual resolution. It also works for DVD playback. However, when I attempt to play back media files recorded on the computer, I get blank windows on the TV. That is, the player is running, and I can see the window and the content on the computer monitor, but on the TV, it shows all the surrounding stuff on the screen but, inside the content area of the playback app, I see only a black background. This seems to be true of both the ATI-supplied player and the Windows Media Player. Help! I can't play back my recorded programs on my TV with this board. What am I doing wrong? Or do I have a bad board?

It's likely your overlay. What method are you using to captue. Are you watching the actual capture session? Like has been stated here a few times, the capture has to go throught the ATI software, because the program is not runnig through video memory so no other capture program will be able to capture the ATI stream. You can use the connecors to record on other apps, just not through the ATI media center.
An easy test is to try the instant replay feature. You can find out if it is indeed capuring to your hard drive fairly easily that way.
IF you still can't get it to work contact ATI, their support is pretty good, and your problem is NOT something you can easiloy desribe to the forum (I have had 2 AIW cards an am not completely sure where you're making your mistake (or the card is craping out). Like you didn't mention our OS, which does have an effect.
First things first, unhook your TV out. Focus on cpaturing/recording first, then worry about displaying to a second monitor. Once you can display it on your computer monitor then you can worry about the TV.

And last but NOT least,if you problem is simply displaying it on your second display (TV) then read <A HREF="http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/2774.html#OVERLAY UNAVAILABLE ON SECONDARY DISPLAY:" target="_new">THIS</A> from the knowledge base at ATI it was there all along.
<A HREF="http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/2774.html#OVERLAY UNAVAILABLE ON SECONDARY DISPLAY:" target="_new">http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/2774.html#OVERLAY UNAVAILABLE ON SECONDARY DISPLAY:</A>

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=green>RED</font color=green> <font color=red>GREEN</font color=red> :tongue: GA to SK

dmcmahon

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2001
Sorry for not stating, but I have the latest driver, and I'm using XP. I have no problem at all doing capture, and playing it back. I'm using ATI's "TV" application to do the capture, though I also tried using the Pinnacle Studio 8. In both cases, I'm able to capture, I get big files on the hard drive, and I'm able to play them back, and I can see them just fine on the primary monitor, which is my VGA monitor. It's just that the "overlay" is not visible on the secondary monitor, which is the TV connected via the s-video output. I read through the material on ATIs site but it leaves me more confused. The limitation about the overlay not being visible on the secondary display is stated to be a Win98 issue. Also that whole discussion seems to be about situations where you have multiple adapters in your system, and/or are using ATI's "TV Wonder" card. I have just one adaptor, it's ATI's All-in-Wonder. I tried changing to lower resolutions, etc. but nothing works. Pu-lease, I bought this card so that I can use my computer as a VCR, I can't believe that it won't let me play back the video.

P.S. I'm a little vague on what the "overlay" actually is. For instance, when I run the Windows Media Player, I can play one of my captured files, and I still get a black hole on the TV. What's different about that window's contents than any other window, including the window displayed by the DVD player software (PowerDVD), which *is* visible on the TV?

pat

Expert
Go in screen propertie/advanced/display and set your monitor as primary (circle button) and the TV as clone (2 square buttons). then go to overlay, and into clone mode propertie. Select theater mode and same as video source. Now, when you open a video file, the you can see it in you monitor as a windows and full screen in your TV. Oh, I'm native french, so my Windows is in french. I dont really know if I translated with the correct terms all of the option settings, but I hope it will work for you.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!