ATI/AMD and INTEL/NVIDIA

skud

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2006
I'm sure that several people have seen the article by now that suggests intel might buy nvidia. I've heard before that ati owns nvidia, can anyone confirm or deny that for me?

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
No, he isnt...I can go back to that thread were Grape finally had to jump in and call shots. ATI still has the greater percentage of the market from the Q results and Intel leads both in graphics sales. Look up the FACTS if you dont believe me.

pauldh

Illustrious
I don't know the latest figures, but surely Intel does still lead. And Going back a year ATI easily had a lead on NV : http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050728052358.html
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/19/q1_06_gpu_market_results/

People need to take their numbers off 3rd party sites, not NV's PR pages. Kinda like the auto commercials listing where they do lead - "more cargo room than the camry, more horsepower than the accord, more rear legroom than the maxima, more cupholders than lexus,...etc." ;)

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
I don't know the latest figures, but surely Intel does still lead. And Going back a year ATI easily had a lead on NV : http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/video/display/20050728052358.html
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2006/05/19/q1_06_gpu_market_results/

People need to take their numbers off 3rd party sites, not NV's PR pages. Kinda like the auto commercials listing where they do lead - "more cargo room than the camry, more horsepower than the accord, more rear legroom than the maxima, more cupholders than lexus,...etc." ;)
Wait a second... somebody that is actually using facts on these forums? With LINKS to back those facts up???? This cannot be! 8O

Must be a sign of the end-times.

Anyway, the THG Forumz (and maybe the world as well) obviously needs more people like Pauldh. People that don't say crap like "my nVidia gEforce fX 5200 (LE... mom wouldn't let me get anything else) totally PWNZ0RZ your ATI X1900xT, and my mom said that NVIdIA shipped like 200 times more GPUs!!!!"

I'm sure that several people have seen the article by now that suggests intel might buy nvidia. I've heard before that ati owns nvidia, can anyone confirm or deny that for me?

nVidia is an independant, it's also in far too many similar fields as Intel for this to go through. There are far more anti-trust issues for Intel buying nV than AMD buying ATi.

I can't remember what else was the issue, but the Graphic and MoBo markets segments alone would be enough for Anti-trust concerns. AMD had neithe MoBo nor Graphics products, which made their deal easier to pass, Intel doesn't have that option up front, especially not with a successful product.

As for nV / ATi, ATi does lead sale, but nV did have larger market cap. ATi was widely seen as undervalued in a depressed market and a ripe target for Intel, and then AMD. Intel and AMD were also seen as undervalued, even up until recently, nV had obviously been overvalued as their 'restatement' and options issues for SOx pretty much show now.

Overall it is unlikely that Intel would buy nV so much as nV might buy someone like VIA. Intel can't buy VIA either due to their CPU and VPU issues. Wanna see movement in the market, that's the likely source of activity once nV's straightened out their financials.
Intel can't buy anyone, and with their profitable CPUs and integrated VPUs, they could simply hammer everyone else with their gigantic money bags.

Expect Intel to come out swinging for 2008 IMO, and in order to defend again AMD-ATi and Intel, nV will acquire VIA, mark my words.

0zzy

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
Theres nothing Intel can gain from buying nvidia. Therefore this will not happen.

The reason AMD bought ATI was because it would have costed them a lot more to create their own gpu. The Ultimate aim is to create an on die gpu which will replace gfx cards. This may take 4-5 years, but this is the future. Fortunately for Intel, they already have the tech and resources to do it, so they don't need to buy nvidia.

Theres nothing Intel can gain from buying nvidia. Therefore this will not happen.

That's not true in the slightest. There's ALOT that Intel could gain from acquiring nV, at the very least nV has a ton of patents (just like ATi or VIA) that Intel would love to have, Intel also has no foothold in add-in graphics either gaming or workstation, Intel's phone presence is next to nil outside PDA-phones, to name a few things Intel could use. The big issues are regulatory and price.

The Ultimate aim is to create an on die gpu which will replace gfx cards.

No it's not to replace gfx cards, it's to make it easier for system integrators to get a single chip solution, in the way that Intel can sell you the CPU, MoBo and VPU onboard, both Intel and now AMD want to simplify things and sell low end systems with their Mobo and multi-function CPU/VPU combo chip thus making it cheap and easy for barebone Dells, and other integrated devices (especially for business) as well as locking integrators into a single solution.

This may take 4-5 years, but this is the future.

The future for low, end, but not for enthusiast gamers, at least not until general computing returns as the method, perhaps as we approach more powerful chips then raytracing and other ideal methods may make arrays of CELL-like chips a more plausible solution, only at that time would a combo chip be wise for the high end, until then a top of the line CPU and separate top of the line VPU will be the solution of choice because of the focus benefit of each.

Fortunately for Intel, they already have the tech and resources to do it, so they don't need to buy nvidia.

Has little to do with it, there are other things that would be attractive to them, but for your example, Intel was already there, as was nV and ATi in the phone segment, and VIA in the ultra-efficient segment, only AMD was out in the cold on it's own for that, but there's also more reasons that that deal was good for AMD, and there's many reasons why Intel+nV would be good, despite it almost being impossible at this point in time.

G

I've heard before that ati owns nvidia, can anyone confirm or deny that for me?

Probably heard: ATI 0wnz nVidia...
it is a bit confusing I agree :wink:

kaotao

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2006
Nvidia unlike ATI is still the leading manufacturer of graphics processing units, it's unlikely that Nvidia want to be pawned be AMD nor Intel.

Intel leads both in graphics sales. Look up the FACTS if you dont believe me.

Thank you. I was hoping someone would jump in and correct him.

raven_87

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Well, obviously thats integrated solutions.

However last I checked, ATI is up around 5% more in market share for discreet card than NV, and somewhere in the vincinity of 10% for mobile solutions.