ATI/AMD vs. Nvidia/Intel

Grumpel

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
I am building a new PC and I am going with an Intel E6600 and Intel 975X motherboard. However, I am a very big supporter of ATI. My concern is that when the ATI D10 cards hit it will not be supported by the Intel chipset that is on the 975X board. This comes from the fact that I was under the impression that ATI will not support the Intel chipset after the 1066MHZ bus which the motherboard I want is based on.

When I am choosing Intel now does that mean I am saying I will be going with Nvidia going forward with D10 cards or will ATI still work for me? I must admit that I am VERY ignorant as to what ATI means by not supporting the Intel chipset. Is this just referring to Xfire? If thats the case I hate this merger as it locks me into specific video card manufacturers I hope I am just misunderstanding what it all means. Any info that can be given would be much appreciated.

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
I am building a new PC and I am going with an Intel E6600 and Intel 975X motherboard. However, I am a very big supporter of ATI. My concern is that when the ATI D10 cards hit it will not be supported by the Intel chipset that is on the 975X board. This comes from the fact that I was under the impression that ATI will not support the Intel chipset after the 1066MHZ bus which the motherboard I want is based on.

When I am choosing Intel now does that mean I am saying I will be going with Nvidia going forward with D10 cards or will ATI still work for me? I must admit that I am VERY ignorant as to what ATI means by not supporting the Intel chipset. Is this just referring to Xfire? If thats the case I hate this merger as it locks me into specific video card manufacturers I hope I am just misunderstanding what it all means. Any info that can be given would be much appreciated.

I don't know for sure but I'd be very surprised if ATI GPU drivers don't work on intel motherboards at all in future, although nvidia have done that for SLI configurations.

If you are going with nVidia graphics and also want to do SLI, you need an nVidia chipset motherboard too.

Boristhetech

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2006
To be honest, if Intel were to make their motherboards incompatible with a competitor's video cards, they would get sued like no other. The 975x probably won't be optimized for use with an ATI card like an ATI chipset would , but an ATI video card will work with an Intel mobo chipset. Anything else is grounds for a major anti-trust lawsuit.

Of course, if you want a dual video card setup, you're screwed with an Intel chipset.

ATI cards still work in NVidia chipset motherboards. Just not in SLi, since that's a proprietary, patented method for communication between video cards.

Grumpel

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Ok I am thinking I am really misunderstanding some of the articles i have read. While I cannot find them all this one is pretty much what I have been reading:

http://www.hkepc.com/bbs/itnews.php?tid=656138

What is that saying since it seems like I am not fully understanding it. Sorry to be a pain I just want to make sure that before I buy everything that I will eventually be able to go to a D10 card from ATI on a Intel 1066 Bus motherboard.

Grumpel

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006
Ok well then I will just go with Intel and not worry about it going forward. Thanks everyone for helping me out with this I just really wish I knew what that link was saying. Anyone offer any explanation on it? Just so I have 100% of the Big Picture.

Tonkyboy

Distinguished
Dec 2, 2002
Looks to me like they are saying that after the stated chipsets they are no longer going to be making chipsets for Intel Motherboards. Like Intel make chipsets for their own boards, and Nvidia make the N-Force chipsets for mobo's, and VIA make chipsets for Mobo's. They are not saying that their Graphics cards will no longer be supported by Mobo's with Intel CPU's. Just that their chipsets will no longer be made for Intel Mobo's. So you can still buy an Intel board, and still buy an ATI GFX card and they will work just fine. But you will not have the luxury of CrossFire unless Intel start making chipsets that support it.
Hope that helps.