Aromas

Distinguished
May 15, 2004
Hi guys! About the Radeon9100IGP chipset and the nForce series, those are technologies from GPU makers, right? There is something wrong with them? Let me expose my problem.

I've been working with many ASUS P4R800-VM and they seems to have (all of them) a huge memory problem: freeze, reboot, memory error, no keyboard, etc. And when it comes to the A7N8X-DX (wich I personally own), I've got plenty of weirdnesses when I used DDR400 memory (and only DDR400).
Before saying anything, I have to say that those memory module were generic ones. Of course, I don't have any problem when using top brand like those listed in the manual. BUT, why generic memory seems to give a hard time to ATI and nVidia with their mobo chipset? The same generic memory is numero uno with any Intel, SIS or VIA chipset.

Don't tell meto use top memory, I know that. Still, the fact remains: ATI and nVidia don't build chipset the same way Intel, SIS and VIA does.

What do you think?

Past does not guarantee futur. This is rational but not reasonable. What are you?

TheRod

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2002
I don't know for the ATI chipset, I never worked with them. What is your A7N8X MB Revision? If it's a review 1.0X, it probably have harder time with el-cheapo memory modules.

I would say that VIA, SiS and Intel build chipsets for years. nVidia and ATI are the new boys in the hood. Since nForce2 400, nVidia chipset are very reliable and solid. I know that ATI still need to catch up in term of performance.

But, I would say that buying no-name cheap memory is not the best thing to do. Even if you have an SiS, VIA or Intel MB, chep RAM may not cause much problem, but it can still be the cause of random crash/reboot.

At least, get memory stick with reliable memory chip on them and you will mostly never have memory issue with any MB or chipset.

--
Lookin' to fill that <font color=blue>GOD</font color=blue> shape hole!