ATI card for video editing...

I'm a little confused. Do I really *need* the ATI AIW card to do video
editing from stuff I take on a miniDV camcorder?

I'm building a new system for editing said video/still/audio, and was
wondering what ATI card would be the best choice.

Any recommendations/insights into specific cards, or building a video
editing system in general, would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in Advance!
--
- Rog

http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html

NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

peter

You need a card like the AIW if you aim to transfer and edit analog videos on
your PC.
You do not need a card like an AIW if you aim to transfer and edit only digital
video....any firewire or USB connection will suffice...depending upon the
software you are using to capture and edit the digital video.
peter
"Roger Buchanan" <rogerb@wpcusrgrpNOSPAM.org> wrote in message
> I'm a little confused. Do I really *need* the ATI AIW card to do video
> editing from stuff I take on a miniDV camcorder?
>
> I'm building a new system for editing said video/still/audio, and was
> wondering what ATI card would be the best choice.
>
> Any recommendations/insights into specific cards, or building a video
> editing system in general, would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks in Advance!
> --
> - Rog
>
> http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
>
> NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
> from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

"Roger Buchanan" <rogerb@wpcusrgrpNOSPAM.org> wrote in message
> I'm a little confused. Do I really *need* the ATI AIW card to do video
> editing from stuff I take on a miniDV camcorder?
>
> I'm building a new system for editing said video/still/audio, and was
> wondering what ATI card would be the best choice.
>
> Any recommendations/insights into specific cards, or building a video
> editing system in general, would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks in Advance!
> --
> - Rog
>
> http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
>
> NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
> from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.

You don't need an AIW. They only capture analog video. You need a M/B or
card with 1394/Firewire/DV(all the same thing) connector. The D in MiniDV is
for digital.

On 22/10/04 6:00 AM, Roger Buchanan wrote:

> I'm a little confused. Do I really *need* the ATI AIW card to do video
> editing from stuff I take on a miniDV camcorder?
>
> I'm building a new system for editing said video/still/audio, and was
> wondering what ATI card would be the best choice.
>
> Any recommendations/insights into specific cards, or building a video
> editing system in general, would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks in Advance!

You don't need it at all. The minimum hardware you need is a Firewire
card ($10), and the minimum software is something like Adobe Premiere or
its many copycats.

It would be nice to have analog capture if you intend on capturing
anything other than miniDV/DVCAM tapes. It would be nice to have a TV
tuner if you intend to capture TV. It would be nice to have hardware
acceleration of transitions (eg Matrox X10/Canopus DVRex/etc).

But by far, your best bet is to have tons of hard disk space and tons of
RAM. It's very useful to have more than one display (so a video card
that can display two outputs, with two monitors sitting on your desk).
It would be really nice if you could get a TV monitor plugged into a
50Hz signal (a video card with TV out would suffice, or otherwise you'll
be using your camcorder to view your finished work. Perhaps your
camcorder will allow you to hook up a TV monitor through S-video etc).
For serious video editing, I'd get a triple head display (like a Matrox
Parhelia) to edit the timeline, and even get an obsolete PCI dual-head
card to run a fourth screen and a TV.

T Shadow wrote:
> "Roger Buchanan" <rogerb@wpcusrgrpNOSPAM.org> wrote in message
> > I'm a little confused. Do I really *need* the ATI AIW card to do
video
> > editing from stuff I take on a miniDV camcorder?
> >
> > I'm building a new system for editing said video/still/audio, and
was
> > wondering what ATI card would be the best choice.
> >
> > Any recommendations/insights into specific cards, or building a
video
> > editing system in general, would be greatly appreciated!
> >
> > Thanks in Advance!
> > --
> > - Rog
> >
> > http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
> >
> > NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
> > from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.
>
> You don't need an AIW. They only capture analog video. You need a M/B
or
> card with 1394/Firewire/DV(all the same thing) connector. The D in
MiniDV is
> for digital.

Since I'll need to get a new video card, and will need to be able to do
some video editing with material shot with an analog as well as a DV
camera, can I get any recommendations on the best ATI card for this
purpose?

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

<Searcher7@mail.con2.com> wrote in message

> T Shadow wrote:
> > "Roger Buchanan" <rogerb@wpcusrgrpNOSPAM.org> wrote in message
> > > I'm a little confused. Do I really *need* the ATI AIW card to do
> video
> > > editing from stuff I take on a miniDV camcorder?
> > >
> > > I'm building a new system for editing said video/still/audio, and
> was
> > > wondering what ATI card would be the best choice.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations/insights into specific cards, or building a
> video
> > > editing system in general, would be greatly appreciated!
> > >
> > > Thanks in Advance!
> > > --
> > > - Rog
> > >
> > > http://www.wpcusrgrp.org/~rogerbuchanan/index.html
> > >
> > > NOTE: to Reply to this, remove the phrase "NOSPAM"
> > > from my "Reply To:" address, or it will be returned.
> >
> > You don't need an AIW. They only capture analog video. You need a M/B
> or
> > card with 1394/Firewire/DV(all the same thing) connector. The D in
> MiniDV is
> > for digital.
>
> Since I'll need to get a new video card, and will need to be able to do
> some video editing with material shot with an analog as well as a DV
> camera, can I get any recommendations on the best ATI card for this
> purpose?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Darren Harris
> Staten Island, New York.

Keep in mind I'm not an expert but I'll try to get things started. As far as
I know all of the presently available AIWs use the same tuner/Theater200
chip for tv/capture. 2D performance is the same except for DX9
compatibility. The features DX9 add for video use really aren't worth
anything to me(Thruview). The big difference would be 3D performance. Mostly
a matter of what games you want to play. Also the newer AIWs seem to have
newer/better software bundled with it.
Unless you are short on PCI slots a separate capture card would be a better
investment so you can upgrade the video card separately. The new TV Wonder
Elite uses the 550 Theater chip which does it's own mpg2 encoding. This
reduces the load on the cpu and should avoid audio/video sync issues.
Hauppauge makes a similar card.

This site has links to reviews. http://www.tv-cards.com/

Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> T Shadow wrote:

<snip>

> Since I'll need to get a new video card, and will need to be able to do
> some video editing with material shot with an analog as well as a DV
> camera, can I get any recommendations on the best ATI card for this
> purpose?

You could of course go for a MiniDV camcorder that has an analog
pass-through connection like the Sony DCR-HC30E. This would enable you
to hook up any analog source and record via Firewire, meaning you might
not have to get a new video card with an analog video input.

--
JasonB

To reply replace NoSpam4Me with Blueyonder

Jason Broomfield wrote:
> Searcher7@mail.con2.com wrote:
> > T Shadow wrote:
> >

> <snip>
>

> > Since I'll need to get a new video card, and will need to be able
to do
> > some video editing with material shot with an analog as well as a
DV
> > camera, can I get any recommendations on the best ATI card for this
> > purpose?
> >

> You could of course go for a MiniDV camcorder that has an analog
> pass-through connection like the Sony DCR-HC30E. This would enable
you
> to hook up any analog source and record via Firewire, meaning you
might
> not have to get a new video card with an analog video input.

Well, like I said, I have to get a video card anyway, so I was
considering an ATI AIW because I have an old one and I like the extras.

I then of course would not need to buy a DV cam right now.(Or a
firewire card).

(And I belive that there are other options for converting analog to
digital that I can plug into my USB port).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

> Well, like I said, I have to get a video card anyway, so I was
> considering an ATI AIW because I have an old one and I like the extras.
>
> I then of course would not need to buy a DV cam right now.(Or a
> firewire card).
>
> (And I belive that there are other options for converting analog to
> digital that I can plug into my USB port).

If you're not a gamer and have an AGP slot, I'd get (and did six months ago)
an ATI 9600 AIW. Cost about $150-175 USD and you can do analog capture from
various video sources including cable/satellite TV, VCR's, DVD players, etc.
with it. It's fanless so it's quiet and if you're upgrading from an older
video card, you should see snappier performance as well. When you get your
DV cam, pick up a Firewire card for $15.