ATI Catalyst 10.3 Drivers Offer Gaming Boosts

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Tested, gray lines is not fixed! Conclusion: ATI does not care about its customers

jomofro39

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
This is excellent. I do not know why they don't publish their own benchmarking scores online so the people who know how to interpret them can make observations (like a majority of the viewers at THW, who know how to build, tweak, and upgrade computers). I feel like it would give the card companies another way to communicate and involve the customers, and they would undoubtedly approve of such a move. I know I would. With that out of the way, I am super pumped to go download this new driver, and reap some benefits. Ashame a lot of it had to deal with Eyefinity, which I lack as of now.

G

and i still cant use 1024 in 1.6 with blackbars on sides on my 22" widescreen. going back to nvidia

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
[citation][nom]godson[/nom]and i still cant use 1024 in 1.6 with blackbars on sides on my 22" widescreen. going back to nvidia[/citation]

good riddance

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
The driver gave dirt 2 a very good 20% boost and now I am getting 83.3 FPS with just one 5850 card before iI was getting about 65.7 FPS . I am going to test it with HawX now and see the results from that one as well. This is a Good Driver update

afciscoguy

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]JeanLuc[/nom]Nice jump in performance and that's without the little extra bonus that Nvidia gave some of their customers when they found out there video card had melted after installing the driver![/citation]

Almost cooked my GTX 295 with that driver... sold that card and upgraded to a 5870... That said this driver does display a small overlap on my HDMI LCD connection... however it is hardly noticeable for the performance gain!!

dgingeri

Distinguished
Bull hockey pucks!

I installed these over the weekend for my 4870X2. My "Windows Experience rating" went from 5.9 (with my graphics at 7.9 and my hard drive at 5.9) to 4.5 specifically because of my graphics. (Everything else stayed the same, processor at 7.9, disk at 5.9, memory at 7.9.) My Aero graphics went from 7.9 down to 4.5. my 3D graphics went from 7.9 to 5.7.

Going in to actual games, World of Warcraft seems mostly unaffected, unless I turn my AA up to 8X. Where before I would get 25-30 in a crowded Dalaran with 8XAA, now I get 5-15. At 2XAA, I still get 55-60.

With Diablo II, it is unplayable at 2-3 fps. It would at least work before, but not any longer. With Starfleet Command, I get a constant flicker on the screen, but this started with 10.1.

With virtual machines, the performance went through the floor.

It's like it won't go up to normal operating frequency and stays at the "idle" clock speeds or 500/500.

I'm going back to 9.12. all the 10's so far have been bad for my 4870X2.

koss64

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2007
Ati says their latest driver boosts performance,Nividia is telling people not to download thiers lest their cards malfucntion.

You do realise that a new driver has been released by Nvidia since then don't you?

G

And what would the drawback be?
Improved performance at no cost?

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
[citation][nom]koss64[/nom]Ati says their latest driver boosts performance,Nividia is telling people not to download thiers lest their cards malfucntion.[/citation]
Maybe it's because the driver works best with all 5000 series cards that have directX11 and other supported features

Keiki646

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2008
[citation][nom]buzznut[/nom]Hey brennan, nice video. I haven't thought much about eye-finity but this looks pretty sweet. Now how to buy two more monitors without my wife finding out!I'm wondering when monitor manufacturers are gonna start making lcd;s without the bezel, or at least very small/thin. I have a 22 inch, I've been eyeing some 24 in models, but it seems like if I'm gonna step up I should at least get a 26" or better. Getting another 22" would be ok, but I couldn't stand the bezels in the middle. But 3 monitors would be way cool![/citation]

Well time for an updated don't you think??

manwell999

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2008
Bleh, dropping polygons to increase performance. Rename the .exe file and see your card perform the same as it did on day one.

Status
Not open for further replies.