ATI Confirms Grey Screen Issue, Promises Fix

Status
Not open for further replies.

jennyh

Splendid
No worse than Nvidia's last patch issue, which was also hotfixed. Of course there wasn't even 1/10th the drama with that one.

Then again Nvidia is so irrelevent now nobody really cares.

fatkid35

Distinguished
May 6, 2009
i just bought 2 5770's and installed a week ago. happened a few times, once when my 5 year old was playing purble place! had to laugh cause i was playing crysis a few hours earlier. crysis would work but purble place wouldn't?!!!WTF? did a clean driver install and has not reoccured....yet.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
Most people seemed to think it was caused by faulty hardware on the chip. I had a feeling it was either driver related, or caused by heat.

Looks like one of my guesses is correct.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
It's so annoying that companies are using the generic line that it's a "windows 7 limitation/issue" before they even test it to come up with that conclusion. Also, if AMD states that "only a small number" of their customers are experiencing this, then they must know the number, so instead of watering it down, why not give us the figure. What's a small number to them? 100, 1000, 5000? I mean sh*t happens but I think companies should be obligated to inform us.

requiemsallure

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
idk if nvidia will stay irrelevent based on its fermi chipset im quite impressed, i will not get one but i have to say the architecture is quite impressive. they just need to fix the bugs X) but if it works i can say that it will work icredibly well

ominous prime

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
Wow, I had no idea what was causing my grey screen of death. I have a 5850, been messing with OC settings on my CPU and ram timings thinking they were the culprit. Thanks for this Jane,

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]ominous prime[/nom]Wow, I had no idea what was causing my grey screen of death. I have a 5850, been messing with OC settings on my CPU and ram timings thinking they were the culprit. Thanks for this Jane,[/citation]

It's what I'm paid for.

vaughn2k

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2008
[citation][nom]fatkid35[/nom]thats right baby! crossfire for purble place! i heard SLI is better for solitare.[/citation]

No, it is better using Hybrid SLI.

SchizoFrog

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
Funny in the different response... nVidia's drivers did nothing of this sort and only affected certain overclocking tools and people were screaming. ATi drivers are causeing crashes, grey screens and all sorts and peope are saying its nothing... ATi fanboys in the house... lol

Infinity_Wasted

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
mine. doing this right now. I hate it. I just got this card yesterday too. it worked fine for a day, but now it's doing this shit. I have the drivers uninstalled now (which is hell on Internet Explorer, for some reason), and I'm about to restart my computer to reinstall. I did a clean install procedure. I just hope everything will be alright. all I wanted to do was to play Mass Effect 2 with the graphics turned up high!!

envolva

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
My new build with an ATI 5870 had this problem consistently while playing GTA IV, Crysis Warhead, or benchmarking , but the issue gone away after I changed my pc configurations.

The pc has been stable for over a month, and I recently overclocked the board to 900MHz x 1250MHz using Overdrive without problems.

I had the issue with the 9.12 drive, and now I'm bug free still using 9.12. The problem must be a incompatibility with the bios configuration VS vga configuration, and they should be able to fix with a driver update. I just hope they fix it before I accidentally find out what setting will screw me over when I first build my pc.

I've only had one on my 5850, and that was when Crysis's memory leak was locking up my computer anyway. Hopefully they can get it fixed for those who it is severely effecting soon. Sounds like a pretty complex problem.

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
my 5850 goes to a black screen and it's fan spins up to full speed about once every 2 days, usually just inside windows not even gaming. Is this the issue we are discussing? The only way to fix it is by rebooting which I hate to do with my 3 drive raid 0 setup

i7 920 @ 3.8ghz, p6t deluxe, 6gb balistix, asus hd5850

Very expensive and unstable graphics card - I am not a happy customer

Status
Not open for further replies.