ATI Eyefinity

The link you gave is broken, try listing another one or just the model/name.
I know a little about eyefinity but it all depends what your going to use it for.Gaming,Multimeda,Multitasking....
Please list your full system specs and what graphics card you have.

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

i7 920

500GB HD
6GB Corsair 1333MHz Dominator Series RAM
Asus EAH5870 v2
Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

I mostly game, here are the current games I am playing. WoW, BFBC2 MWII MP and Black OPs MP

Here is the link again -

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&s=dhs&cs=19&sku=320-9331

Model number is IN2020M. I appreciate the response

Still not working what is the full name/model i'll go look it up somewhere.
I think eyefinity is a good idea,i would if i could.Just know that you will see a drop in FPS by adding such a huge resoultion.
If i were you i would sell my 5870 for a 6950/6970 espisally the version you have still goes for $380 on newegg.Upgrading to a 6950/6970.
Look at this review
http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3734/sapphire_radeon_hd_6950_2gb_video_card/index9.html
As you can see it isn't a huge jump from the 5870 to the 6950 even at 2560x1600 but if it's eyefinity setup liek the one you want to get the bigger the resoultion the more the 6950 will do better because it has that extra 1g of ram.But you can see how bad the FPS gets even if your using a single powerful card.

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Go to Dell.com the Model number of the monitor is IN2020M. Its a 20 inch HD monitor with LED backlight.

I basically cried when they released the 6950 and 6970, especially I hear there is a is mod that can hack the bios of a 6950 and allow it to have the same stats/shaders as a 6970..?

http://www.techpowerup.com/articles/overclocking/vidcard/159

Well, I would love to sell my 5870 but I originally paid 379.99, not that I expect to get that, but I'm considering buying another EAH5870 v2 to provide more horsepower for eyefinity. anyway, let me know what you think about the monitors.

Thats a really nice monitor,pretty cheap considering.Does it play in 3D or is that only some LED montitors/TV's.I think you could easily get $300 or more for it if you wanted to sell it,and thats aorund the price of a 6950.And that mod is something like flashing the bios.Not sure how that works.I cannot find any reviews showing how cards perfrom at 4800x2700 or above.I am defnitly sure when when you are playing at those high resooultions the 5870 will get hampered by it's lack of RAM.You really need over 1G at those resoultions to see the cards full performance.

I just looked over at newegg and 6950's are selling for pretty cheap around $289 for a MSI which is really good.Once again i would really reccomend to sell your 5870 ad get a 6950.But only if you really do plan on getting this eyefinity setup.And BTW getting a 5870 1.5 G in crossfire with the other 5870 not goign to help either,it will be underclocking to match the 1g version.

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Yes, you are correct, flashing the bios. Those monitors I sent you are 60Hz. You have to have 120Hz in order to do 3D, but from what I hear, 3D gaming is gimmicky and isn't all cracked up to what the hype shows.

Well, I was thinking about getting the same exact card I have now to run xFire, would that not work?

It would work and would give you a lot more FPS but their is a limit to how big 1G cards can shine,you will still get playable FPS but you could get more if you had a 2g card.But for the price you pay for the exact 5870 you have, you could get a 6950 and save some money.

But out of the games you listed only BFBC2 is demanding enough to want to have the extra 2g at the resoultion.If you play more games like WoW and Call of Duty it's perfectly alright to get another 5870.But if you play more demanding games like Metro 2033 and BFBC2 or the new Battlefield 3 or Crysis 2 thats coming out next year then i would get the 6950.Also i'm sure one day you will upgrade to 1080p monitors and that will be even bigger resoultion.

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010
its going to be a long while before I upgrade the monitors because there is no justification to do it in the eyes of my wife as I will be divorced if I tried..

I will upgrade the monitors in about 4 years but less than that, its out of the question.

now, even though I get another EAH5870, that still doesn't count as 2GB of video ram from the 2 cards combined?

jacksoncau

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Gotcha. I think the perfect storm right now is to sell my current card and get the newer one, but as of right now, I do not have the cash.. I just need to stick with what I have.