Ati fans in fear as Nvidia inflicts terror !

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
I have a couple of friends who bought the hype and went out and got new Ati graphic cards. Yet both of them experienced issues with performance and are not to happy with Ati now. My question is, are Ati renound for such problems of instability and lack of performance or was this just bad luck. One of them swapped his for a cheaper Nvidia card and says games run much more smoothly as a result. does anyone here own an Ati card , if so your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rramjet on 09/10/03 02:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

daddywags214

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2003
I have a 9600 Pro. Very stable, fast. No problems whatsoever. Have a 9800 Pro-based machine on the way too.

<b>nVidia cheated on me so I left her for ATi. ATi's hotter anyway...</b>

eden

Champion
Heheh, I like you better than Pope. :smile:

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
I agree toatally, when they first said they bought Ati those were my exact words. Yet they live and learn...

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

eden

Champion
ROFL!

Haha, I love you even more for playing with words... ehhehe.

--
<A HREF="http://www.lochel.com/THGC/album.html" target="_new"><font color=blue><b>Are you ugly and looking into showing your mug? Then the THGC Album is the right place for you!</b></font color=blue></A>

1080jibber

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
I have a 9500 pro and it works like a charm. Never had any issues with it. Maybe your friends installed their cards wrong ( didn't remove all of the nvidia drivers or something) or just got a few bad apples, cause otherwise ati is putting out much better performing products right now IMO. (especially once dx9 games come out) I say this as a former nvidia owner just to let you know i'm no ati fanboy. Specifically what ati cards did they buy and which nvidia cards did they replace them with that supposedly "run so smooth"?

antec 350w psu
xp 2000
asus a7n8x deluxe
512mb pc2100
ati radeon 9500 pro
wd 80gb caviar special edition
16x dvd
creative megaworks 550
nec fe991sb-bk

eden

Champion
Much respect to you man, you decided it was time to switch boats even though back then nVidia was the right choice but now isn't.

Kudos.

BTW, a little tip, unless you did it bye error: You click Reply To, to me, though I think you meant Ramjet! :wink:

--

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
u fanATics LOLZ

i love u ramjet
this sucks
they got kicked out of the CPU forum and now they're here
RUN TO THE Harddisk forum guys~~

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

ufo_warviper

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2001
LOL!!!!!! I thought this was going to be a troll thread. I guess that goes to show you, that you should never "judge a thread by its title" rramjet, did you point them the newest version of DX9 & Catalyst?

My OS features preemptive multitasking, a fully interactive command line, & support for 640K of RAM!

coolsquirtle

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2003
which eye told u that this isn't a troll thread? ;)

Proud Owner the Block Heater
120% nVidia Fanboy
PROUD OWNER OF THE GEFORCE FX 5900ULTRA <-- I wish this was me
I'd get a nVidia GeForce FX 5900Ultra... if THEY WOULD CHANGE THAT #()#@ HSF

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
yeah ati suxxx and nvidia rules sucksucksucksucksucksuck :smile:

<b><i>Consumers have spoken. They are tired of
paying the high cost of CDs & DVDs and prefer
more flexible forms of on-demand media
delivery."</i>
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

phial

Splendid
Oct 29, 2002
ive owned a 7200 radeon, and a 8500le

never had driver or hardware issues with either, at any time

meanwhile my "rocksolid" TI4200 has problms in Bf1942 and Counter Strike .. fixed only by going to old driver revisions which then opens up bugs in OTHER games

-------

<A HREF="http://www.teenirc.net/chat/tomshardware.html" target="_new"> come to THGC chat~ NOW. dont make me get up ffs @#@$</A>

1080jibber

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2002
opps , yeah that was meant for rramjet. By the way eden, i've read alot of your posts and seem pretty knowledgable so i've got to ask your opinoin on what's wrong with nivida? What happened to the kick a$$ stuff they used to put out? Is it just me or is the whole fx mess getting worse? First it was the 5800 which was an extra large home heating device, then the driver scandal and I just read an article about nvidia's fx series suffering in dx9 stuff ( compared to ati) which I find kinda hard to beleive but given nvidia's recent history could be true?

antec 350w psu
xp 2000
asus a7n8x deluxe
512mb pc2100
ati radeon 9500 pro
wd 80gb caviar special edition
16x dvd
creative megaworks 550
nec fe991sb-bk

scottchen

Splendid
Jun 3, 2003
Well I liked the 9500pro until i melted the GPU.

-Intel PIV 2.4C @ 3.84G -Asus P4P800 -OCZ Gold 2x256 3700EL memory @ 256mhz 2.5-3-3-7 -Sapphire 9800pro @ 490/780 -SB audigy -80G Maxtor Diamond Plus9 Ultra ATA-133 hdd -450 Enermax PSU

Willamette_sucks

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2002
They're unable to admit mistakes, and MOVE ON. They screwed up big time, the FX5900 fixed *some of the 5800s problems, but had the same sh*tty underlaying architecture. Yet they still tout it as the pimpest on the block, and in wanting to keep their fan/customer base happy (with big #s) they've HAD to go the way of 'cheating'. I'm sure noone here thinks cheating is ok, but if its cheat, or your business goes under, what would you choose? Not that the consequences of NOT cheating would've been THAT severe, but it would've hurt them much more (as even their FANS would begin to turn away).

I think they got over-confident, and the guys at ATI pulled their heads out of their asses one day and said, "Hey, lets make something that beats the living sh*t out of current AND future nVidia solutions and deliver it way ahead of their next release!" Go ATI!

I'm no fanboy of either side. The NV4X is a new chance for them, they can make it right this time. I'll buy whats best (price/performance is important too). I'll also consider both the A64 and the Prescott.

Really though I'm placing my bets on ATI for the future:)

"Mice eat cheese." - Modest Mouse

"Every Day is the Right Day." -Pink Floyd

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
There were lots of issues.
Namely that ati and nvidia took gambles on different things.
Nvidia did 4x2 while ati went 8x1... and it seems 8x1 is generally better.
then there is .13 that nvidia tried, and that was much delayed and ran quite hot when it arrived. The heat issue is better since the fx5800ultra, but its still there.
Then they gambled on uberfast 128bit memory to win the day... but it couldnt really do it against 256bit.

To this day i still dont know what they were thinking regarding the "dustbuster" cooling solution.

ATI got a good product out early with few major hiccups on an established .15micron die.
With a very much improved driver team behind it.
More than anything a card lives and dies by how good its drivers are.
And the 3.x series is at least equal to the ones that Nvidia produces.
A far cry from a few years ago.

<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy. :smile:
Regards,
Mr no integrity coward.</b>

c0d1f1ed

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2003
I have a Radeon 9000 and I'm rather dissapointed by it. I probably could have had a Geforce 4 for about the same price with better performance.

Anyway, for the Radeon 9500 and up I don't think NVidia has better alternatives...

Nights_L

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003
I had a Xpert@Play98(Rage Pro), a Radeon SDR PCI, and now a Radeon8500LE, I never get any problems..
<b>I am not a AMD fanboy.
I am not a Via fanboy.
I am not a ATI fanboy.
I AM a performance fanboy.
And a low price fanboy.</b> :smile:
I like it~

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Anyone who can't get a new ATI card to work as it should, needs to go back to the "what is a mouse" computer learning school.

I've messed about with my system so many times, and the only component thats remained 100% stable while overclocking to the max is the video card, a one year old 9700pro.

In fact im so confident in the 9700's that I have another 9700pro on the way to replace my existing one, because it overclocks easily to 9800pro speeds and above (my current one needs a volt mod to go higher) with stock cooling. And the best part is, I saved £200 on getting a new 9800pro!

All this on windows-98se aswell, one of the least supported os' around and with the omega drivers.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6936722" target="_new"> My rig </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1150155" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)

RRAMJET

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2003
mmm yea, here it's hard to find a 9700pro, but 9800 is not much diff i hear. Anyhow is nvidia really that bad at DX9 games if so is it possible that it can be fixed ?

If he doesn't die, he'll get help!!!

speeduk

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2003
Its hardware related. Nvidea is trying its best to get around the problems with driver tweaks. Its kinda strange seeing them doing so bad in the new dx9 games and that they need a patch just to run at the same speed as equiv ati cards. At first the 5900ultra was a good card, probably the best, but now, its so hard to see a clear picture. Some games like ATI cards and other like Nvidea.

I guess we won't see a clear picture until half life 2 is out and doom 3 whenever thats going to be released.

<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k1=6936722" target="_new"> My rig </A>
<A HREF="http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1150155" target="_new"> 3D-03 </A>
<font color=red> 120% overclocker </font color=red> (cheapskate)