ATi FireGL 4 vs. Quattro 3

G

Whoa! your comparing a graphics card with a car!

<font color=blue><b>Who is General Failure and why is he reading my hard disk?</b></font color=blue>

polaris

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2001
Read that the Fire 64 (post SonicBlu) was the fastest card - for a while (until GF2Ultra).
certainly pricey though - being in the WorkStation market it had no competition until recently when a few Niv cards were included in some systems (eg Dell).
I you have ACAD2k you don't need the best - it'll run photo rendered complex assemblys on virtually anything over CPU400MHz & V3/GF 32Mb with real time motion.
UniGraphics/Mech Desktop/IronCAD etc - now they have texture/graphics demmand!!
Quattro 3 don't know - who makes it??

“I’m not afraid of the unknown. The stuff we already know is what scares me”

G

No, the quadro 3 isn't out yet, but there is a new quadro 2 pro chipset out. Elsa makes a card based on it, the Gloria 3. And why the hell would you need a card like that for Autocad 2000??? Polaris is right, for programs like Unigraghics and Pro Engineer you need real power!
I have the honour to sit behind a P3 Xeon with 1MB cache, 1GB SD-RAM and an Elsa Gloria 2. That's a Pro Engineer workstation, and really needs that power. But autocad isn't neer that demanding, it isn't that powerful to.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The Fire GL family wins over the Geforce/Quadro family hands down. But that really doesn't amtter for Autocad 2000, which is made for PCs anyway and isn't that demanding. So unless your getting some REAL PROFESSIONAL software, like SDRC or something, I'd go with the Quadro, then you can have a dual purpose Design/Gaming PC (the Quadro would waste the Fire GL in D3D just as badly as the Fire GL would waste the Quadro in Open GL).

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Have you seen the newer article at Digit-Life comparing different platforms (T-Birds, PIII and PIV's)? Your where right about T-Birds and PentiumIII's.

<b>Choosing Optimal Platform Configuration for 3D Studio MAX</b>

<A HREF="http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/3dmax-platform/" target="_new">http://www.xbitlabs.com/cpu/3dmax-platform/</A>

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/24/01 11:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
I think I'd prefer the z3. or the one Mr Bond used in the world is not enough. with the missiles in the door handle and stuff. that would be cool.

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

G

You might find a head to head comparison somewhere in the 3D ring. Try 3Dlinks, 3dcafe, cgi, 3Dgate etc.

m-kelder....thank god you didn't try to crap anyone this time. Hope it stays that way.

"Cock-a-doodle-do" is what I say to my girl when I wake her UP in the morning!!

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Cool.... Remember the FireGL4 doesn't use an ATi chip. Instead Powerful IBM chips for the highest end of workstations.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

Check out here,
http://www.xbitlabs.com/video/3dmax/
A firegl4 would out perform all the nvidia cards but the quadro version of the geforce's would also perform better than those. The geforce's have all been about power but with the geforce3 nvidia headed more towards eye candy (dx8 stuff) and saving memory bandwidth. The raw poly output of the geforce 3 isn't too much higher than a geforce 2. The quadro 3 is just a little bit better than a quadro 2 pro and has dx8 support.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
m_kelder
Well I just plugged in my 1.2gh T-Bird and it is fast. It is also a AXIA stepping :smile: and I am currently at 1.33gh with 1.78 volts as steady as can be with cpu temp between 41-45c. Not bad for $150 at Newegg.com ehhh? I Will up it latter. Now I have an un-used T-Bird laying around my house which I don't know what to do with it. Also waiting for my MX400 to arrive so that I can put together a Linux system for my other motherboard Abit KA7.

Bud

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2001
I run Autocad 2000 just fine with ALL my video cards.
Like every one else is saying, Autocad (while a great drafting tool) does not need anythng like that run well.
Even a decent $20 2d card would work.

For Pro-Engineer (work machine), I'm using 3dLabs Oxygen
glint-R3, and that's not near the best OpenGl card...but it
works great and cost the company only about 500 clams.

But if you'd like to play D3D games on this machine, why
not just get a Geforce??

I thought I was wrong once, but I was mistaken.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by bud on 05/25/01 05:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

cool, my 1ghz axia w/ swift 462, iwill kk266... is coming now, I should get it wed.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Double coolness :smile: , I just have a Alpha cooler with a copper bottom and noisy as hell but it does its job well. I also got a IBM 7200 RPM deskstar 41gb and currently copying files from my IBM 20gb to it. PartitionMagic 6.0 is one outstanding program, I already created and copied my WinMe and W2K partitions from my 20gb IBM to the 41gb IBM and now I am in the process of copying data to the third partition. After I am done I will be ready to boot from the new hard drive with the exact same setup as before except twice the size. Then I can remove the old hard drive and plug it into my KA7 system with all my games, programs, etc. intact ready for the Innovision MX400. Afterwards I will be installing SuSE Linux onto the KA7 system and riding W2K. Good luck on your new system, the AXIA stepping is one cool cpu and F.A.....S.............T as hell!! :lol:
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/25/01 09:50 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

HolyGrenade

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2001
Just out of curiosity, what is the price of a Fire GL card like compared to that of a Quadro? aren't they closer to Wildcat Cards in terms of price?

<font color=red>"My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and dispair!"</font color=red>

G

yes, closer to the wildcat price. Quadro 3 will have a heavty price tag when it first comes out though but nvidia just aims for the mid-range sector.