ATI firepro V5700 TERRIBLE performance?!?!

Burnsy9000

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
Hello,

I am a 3D artist using 3Ds max 2009 and Windows 7 64 bit. I recently bought and ATI firepro V5700 mid-range workstation card. From all the reviews I've read this should be a very capable card, but was surprised to find it performed terribly compared to my old Nvidea Quadro FX 1400 - a much older card with only a quarter of the video memory and much less processing power. I have all the latest drivers for the ATI card and have checked and rechecked everything at least a dozen times. I even had another Firepro V5700 shipped to me and installed it thinking the first was faulty. The same issues persisted. Handling 3D models interactively with the ATI cards is painfully slow.

Does anyone have any thoughts on what might be the problem here? Are 3dS max 2009 and Win 7 64 just too new for this hardware? Should I wait it out and hope that some new drivers come out soon? Is there something I'm missing? Any help or suggestions is much appreciated.

haripurnomo2

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Hello,

From what i can figure out, the best gpu combination for 3dsmax or autocad is quadro fx. What makes it flow is the performance driver that quadro fx has. I work with 3dsmax 2009 and Windows 7 64 bit too, and i use quadro fx1800 & fx4800 for the two of my rig and I use vray to render my project. Everything goes smooth with the performance driver from quadro fx. Maybe you can try using Windows XP 64 bit if you want more performance with your ati firepro v5700. Windows vista and windows 7 is too slow for proffesional application, what makes my rig fast just the performance driver.
For the performance that cause by os, maybe you can check this link http://area.autodesk.com/forum/autodesk-3ds-max/installation---hardware---os/geforce-vs-quadro-benchmarks-40actual-tests41/post-0/#p0.