ATi gfx overheating?

adrianeaston

Distinguished
May 5, 2008
So my issue is that I'm currently running both a Radeon 3850 512mb, and the x1250 onboard on my Gigabyte GA-MA69GM-S2H mobo in Surroundview mode. The reason behind this is that it allows me to easily play back video on one monitor (using the x1250) while gaming on my primary display using the 3850. What I have found is that after maybe 15 to 20 minutes of play, the secondary monitor starts to freak out; it blinks between powered and standby mode and displays a messed up image with green pixels everywhere. The primary display on the 3850 functions fine while this is happening.

The rest of the system is 3gb ram, an AMD 4200+ @ 2.5GHz, stock voltage, a single SATA hard drive, and two opticals. This is all powered by a 500watt PSU, which seems to post stable voltages.

Where the problem is repeatable, and goes away after several minutes outside of games, I'm hoping that its as simple as overheating. A newer case would probably be the best solution, since the current case originally housed an AMD K6-2 setup.

Thanks,

Go to Best Buy and get the Antec Spot Cool for $22 and attach it to your motherboard.

http://www.antec.com/us/productDetails.php?ProdID=75018

The Antec Spot Cool is a fan with an 8"inch adjustable neck that attaches to the inside of your case with a single motherboard screw. It's is amazingly stable and does not come out of place once set. It also has blue LED lights to help illuminate the area you are trying to cool. If the area you are looking at is blue then you know it is receiving cooling from the fan. The Fan has 3 speeds too and is very quiet yet it moves very good air. It is almost inaudible on medium speed.

I built a computer with the 780G chipset and the northbridge was running too hot. (Hot to the touch, I could not keep my finger on it.) The Antec Spot cool made a giant difference. I think it is the answer you are looking for.

Below is a picture of the computer I built with the Spot Cool running in action.

spotcool1.jpg

spotcool2.jpg