ATI HD 3870 Weird Graphics Problem

paladin13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Hi every1!
I have a problem which has become quite annoying.
Recently I purchased a HD3870XT so I removed my 7800GS from my system after uninstalling drivers from the cotrol panel
I downloaded 7.11 and installed them. My problem is that I get "weird" graphics. Its as if they r corrupted. For example an object in cs:source might have polygons all around it!
Tried to change the res from 1920 x 1200 the same..
Tried 3d mark 06 the same with some characters in the 1st video.
Tried pro evolution 08 the same with some players. Weird corrupted graphics....
Its very annoying and I am not sure what causes it.
I have Windows XP SP2.
2 GIGS DDR2 67
Core 2 6400
The card is a Sapphire HD 3870 XT running at default speeds
I already tried 7.10 Catalyst and the same problem remained..

I am now getting ready to format but I would like to avoid it if possible. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!!!!

mthomp71

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
I also had this same issue with my 3850. Fine for a minute then polygons glicth everywhere. This seemed to happen in certain games but not all. Did not try CS but Kane and lynch was bad. I remove card put in another system runs fine. I know this does not help you but i had this same problem where the 9800 came out. It was corrected with new drivers...so I would expect the same here......

paladin13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Yes but a different system is not an option for me...I have to switch board for this?
I have an Asrock Dual VSTA
It has an AGP and a PCI Express Slot.
My 7800 was AGP and now I switched to PCI Express.

JonnyRock

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
try this, go to Guru3d and download Driver Cleaner Professional.

http://downloads.guru3d.com/downloadget.php?id=745&file=5&evp=54e6f91e495111338e2171476965c5ed

install it and remove all your ATI and Nvidia drivers.

**NOTE** ONLY REMOVE THE GRAPHICS CARD DRIVERS** <-------- //You have been warned\\ :D

Reboot your PC and let windows redetect the graphics card and then reinstall your ATI drivers.

I do this every time i install a new graphics card (granted its only been nvidia cards for the past 3 years) or change/update my drivers. :kaola:

hope this helps :pt1cable:

JonnyRock

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004

hmmm this changes things a bit. ------> :lol: REINSTALL :kaola:

mthomp71

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Hey that is the same MB(Asrock Dual VSTA) I too am having the issue with .....so I might not think a reinstall will work..but I did previously have a nvidia in it like you, so maybe a clean install as a last resort

JonnyRock

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004

i should have asked what board you guys where running before i posted, although what i suggested in my original post is still something to try if you have not done this already.

Driver Cleaner Professional, in my opinion, does a very good job of removing all unwanted .dll files and crap that the normal uninstall does not remove.

If it’s a driver problem this should help.

is this your motherbaord?

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=4COREDUAL-VSTA

mthomp71

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2007
Well there is a newer bios update there that mentions the ati 2400xt pci card, by the way my MB model is 775Dual-VSTA. I might try flashing when I get home....

JonnyRock

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
is this your board --->> http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=775Dual-VSTA&s=775

if this is your board then it is using a VIA chipset. Now i have not used a VIA chipset since the brilliant 266a chipset (i think it was the 266a). Back then when you install the VIA chipset drivers it would install drivers for the AGP port. I would think you need to get the AGP drivers off the system and reinstall the VIA chipset driver.

using Driver Cleaner Professional you might be able to get this right, but BE WARNED removing chipset drivers could make windows unbootable.

Good Luck.

paladin13

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2006
Thank you all for replying!

OK here is what I have tried

First of all I did the BIOS update.
Nothing...

Then I downloadwed the driver cleaner...

I cleaned every ATI and NVIDIA file and then I did a fresh install for ATI.
Again nothing...

Next move...Installing updated VIA (where is the old VIA quality btw....Good old VIA has vanished...) Drivers....
Again nothing!

I don't think formatting will do anything...

I guess I have to buy a new board after all....
:-(

JonnyRock

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2004
VIA had a few good chipsets once long ago back in the day. :whistle:

Ok I am just curious now…. :sol:

I would try to reinstall windows just for the heck of it. :fou:

BTW do you know at what frequency the PCI-e slot is running at and at what frequency the AGP is running at? It could be that some setting in the BIOS, visible or hidden is overclocking the PCI-e bus and there for overclocking the card.

bluezz

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2007
I have the same issue.
I tried updaing the bios to 3.0 but have not tried cleaning the drivers yet.
**SIGH**
why would ASROCK not fix such serious disastrous bugs and issues with its mobos ??
I guess I have to get a new mobo now ?? :cry:
By the way, my PCI-e bus frequency is @32 (lowest) (default)
Did not see the AGP frequency. Do no know if I should mess around with the PCI-e frequency or not. :cry:

Zeka

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2007
agp runs @ 66mhz

pci runs @ 33mhz

pci-e runs @ 100 mhz

such boards (mixing agp and pci-e, stuff like that) are prone to bugs and issues...

first try reformating, if it doesn't help, go buy some decent MB.

xxaimpiratexx

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2008
Yeah, I've had a *similar* problem. Just built a budget gaming system, running the ATI Sapphire HD3870 512 MB card...All factory settings, with an ASRock ALiveNF6G-VSTA Nvidia chipset mobo, AMD 64X2 5000+ 2.6GHz 1MB cache processor thats never seen above 50C... all factory settings on Vista 64bit. Chipset, Bios and Display drivers all up to date.

Basically, not ALWAYS but after about an hour or two of 3D graphics in World of Warcraft or a few runs of 3Dmark06 and CS:Source, it cuts to a black screen with a flash of artifacts, and windows vista quotes at the bottom "The ATI display driver has stopped working, and windows has successfully recovered" reloading it all.

It happens more and more frequently once it starts to happen...I'm assuming it could be overheating, although when i check the GPU temps, its never over 55C. The motherboard auto-detects my memory at 373MHz. I've fiddled around with the bios settings, although I have not tried the BIOS PCI-E Downstream at Disable fix, will be trying that shortly.

Tried manually locking the processor at its stock X13 multiplier at 2.6GHz, Tried manually locking the memory frequency at DDR800 and lower, tried Locking the northbridge frequency at 200MHZ...

I'm thinking that this could possibly be a compatibilty problem between the nvidia chipset and the ATI graphics card drivers...hopefully not, ive heard that they can run just fine with proper system/mobo settings. Can anyone shed some light on the subject? I would really have to just toss this mobo and the 65 bucks i paid for it right in the trash.

TRENDING THREADS