ATI HD 6xxx

Essex

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
ATI is going to release the HD 6000 series in Oktober. One of there 1st models is going to be the 6700 if i am not mistaking. Now i was wondering if it is worth waiting a month for the 6000 series, since i was going to buy a gtx460 oc to 716 MZ. The first models are probably going to be with those annoying ATI blower fans ( Make allot of nose) so it will probably be around December until better cooling systems will be out.

How does the 6000 series preform VS GTX 460?

Until we actually know whats coming its very difficult to make a guess at which way to go with an upgrade or new system at the moment.
My opinion and that's all it is at this point is that given whats been leaked and rumoured then a 25/30% increase is what we could be looking at for the SI series and that still wont make it better than a GTX 460 1GB.
I also cant see(but would be very happy to be wrong) the SI cards being cheaper than the 5 series cards so you would be looking at a card that costs more than a 5770 has +20-30% (ballpark best guess) performance and still dosent perform as well as a decent 1GB GTX 460.
Im also looking to upgrade and cant quite decide but am personally leaning towards waiting, just incase all the hype and rumours are off mark.

Mactronix

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
I think it's worth waiting now because after the 6000 series there could be a looooooong gap until Nvidia and ATI release anything else.

Essex

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
Hmm well it is always worth waiting. According to mores Law the number of transistors that can be placed on an integrated circuit doubles every 18 month.

bobdozer

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2010
Yes but you have to make the decision based on the knowledge you have.

Now is a bad time to be buying a graphics card, and you'll realise that in a couple of months when you think "damn had I just waited 2 months".

It's your decision as always. I'm not going to tell you what to do, just making sure you have the information you need to make your decision.

Knowing ATI they will hold their prices when Nvidia finally roles out their G106 and G108 cards till they drop the bomb shell only to slash prices to rub it in while Nvidia is still struggling. At least those overpriced 5770s will be cheaper and the market will be flooded with more used 4k and 5k series cards. As for older Nvidia cards I am doubtfull that their prices will be fazed at all due to the demand for those who are doing sli. I am more than willing to dump my two 9800gt back into my 780i box and grab a decent new card. Hopefully I will get me a decent ATI card this time and do crossfire later rather than using a hack for sli. 790x sb600 :whistle:

Helltech

Distinguished

So is it unlikely that cards like the 5750, 5770, and 5830 will drop? I have no idea, I'm curious.

lord_86

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
It worth If the price drop down so you can build cheaper system but for the gpu I think
gtx 460 is more than enough to play all games in high setting if you have extra money put them on ssd driver

If TSMCs process becomes more successful, usually a more mature process lowers in costs and prices, but if theyre still struggling, ATI may just EOL them, making the newer cards at the higher pricing the thing to get, tho the lower end 5 series should lower until actual availability is gone, IF TSMC doesmt get it together.
Theres other things involving the partners, such as low end cards becoming passe with the newer cpu/gpu on die

yanje03

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2010

New HD 6000 is under old structure but tuning bit with same 40nm this year. so it may be 10%- 30% faster than 5870. AMD has no much technology to compete with nVidia now. it is not worth to wait.

Am I seeing things or is a Green Goblin fanboi accusing Red Rooster of being overpriced? :pt1cable: :pt1cable: :pt1cable:

If you cared about things being overpriced, you wouldn't be an nVidia fanboi. Since you are, it's a bit hypocritical of you to say such things, don't you think?

As for the OP, I'd wait it out. Nothing currently on the market that is worth having is going anywhere so even if you decide against it, you're no worse off than you were. Other posters are correct that the prices will drop when the 6xxx series is released. The ones who think that it won't outclass the GTX 4xx series are fooling themselves however because ATi was already more than halfway done in the development of the 6-series when the GTX 4xx series was released. Expect the technology to significantly defeat the GTX 4xx series because if it wasn't capable of that, ATi would definitely push it back until it did. :sol:

Timop

Distinguished

Whats new technology? The Evergreen architecture can trace back to R600, which sucked compared to G80.

When Nvidias brand new "technology" can barely better AMDs 5year architecture, is there a need?

Beides, HD6000 should be a more radical change than HD4000->5000, sans process shrink.

They are both overpriced but then again I pay less than retail. I know how and ware to shop to get things on the cheap. I landed a $229 board last year for $38.77 of eBay that still had full warranty and goodies. XFX baby

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Can't wait for the 6850 series, I'm hoping its not overpriced, Hopefully no more than $500.00 NZD at launch, or less would be appreciated.