[ATI] HIS X1950 Pro IceQ3 512MB - 2 Issues...

PEENkiller

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
First off, I bought this card in May of this year and have never overclocked or modified settings which would cause the card to malfunction. However, yesterday, I was operating my computer normally (playing Links 2003 which is not overly graphic intensive by any means) when my monitor and computer flickered quickly. By flicker I mean the power appeared to shut off and on quickly only once. After this "flickering," my monitor displayed "no signal" which indicated to me that my card had probably bit the dust. I do have all my peripherals and computer connected through a pretty decent surge protector (Belkin Isolator), and the lights in my room did not dim or flicker with the computer suggesting it wasn't a power failure in my home.

I tried rebooting fully expecting the same results but praying I was wrong...no such luck and still "no signal." So I replaced the card with my older one (X850XT) and I once again had use of my computer...this seems pretty indicative of gfx card failure but due to what exactly? Could my powersupply (of which I believe is a 450 watt and the minimum for the card) be an issue?

My primary issue is this: Does anyone know of a support number for HIS digital's tech support? I only found a tech support form at their main site and the number provided is in Hong Kong (I live in Cleveland, Ohio and am not going to call Hong Kong for their card failing on me). I also found a support number from a product listing at newegg but the phone just continuously rings. Am I SOL?

Thanks for any help.

PEENkiller

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2007
Yes, I filled out the form at their main site. I actually talked to a newegg.com customer service rep and asked him for their number to HIS. He gave me a proper one and I actually talked to someone competent at HIS. He led me to http://www.lexycomp.com/ where you fill out an RMA application...would never have found this otherwise and why in god's name it isn't on the main site is beyond me (except that it means they have to replace fewer cards at their expense because the consumer can't get help).

Apparently the support section at their main site is BS as well because when I let the rep (the competent one from HIS, though definitely had an Asian accent if it could be phrased as such) know that I had filled it out, he said no, that's not what you need to do haha!

So, for future reference for any Tom'sHardware forumites....the correct number to call as of 7-27-2007 is 1-(408)-331-8847 and go to http://www.lexycomp.com/ to request an RMA.

(P.S. Thanks for your help Major_Trouble or at least an interest in my problem!)

Major_Trouble

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2007
Well I am glad you have success in finding the right RMA route. :D

And thanks for posting back with some decent instructions on what you need to do so others may benefit.

That's what I really like about these forums. They can be better than the manufacturers info.

It's a shame HIS are not clear on their support site what people need to do. There really is no excuse for such poor help. Why it needed a newegg rep to give you the right number is beyond me.

alieid

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I don't think I'll purchase another HIS product because I'm going through the same hoops to get an RMA. Filled out form on main website weeks ago and have not heard anything. I'll try calling the number you provide, thanks! My nephew's card also fried and he has a BFG. Called BFG number listed on box and recieved rma via email within 24 hours. HIS doesn't even list warranty info on their packaging....

alieid

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
latest update: I called the number and recieved RMA instructions in less than 5 minutes. I'm not as upset with the company but still think they should post this information on the HIS website....