ATI lesson well learn't (Radeon 2)?!?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The 240Z was a design rip off of an old british car. The 280ZX was more Japanese looking. Japanese looking cars seem to be all the rage with kids today. So I guesse beaty is in the eye of the beholder.
The 240Z was a wimpy car that handled well. You could beat them on the track with a crappy handling American car simply by brute force. They were fun to drive as long as you didn't have to ACCELERATE. I would have taken a Z28 over the 240Z any day.
BTW, the original name for the 240Z was the "fairlady". When it arrived in the U.S. the distributor renamed them after there developement code, knowing that the name "Fairlady" would fail to generate fear and awe.
I read the original review of the 240Z in Motor Trend (or was it Car and Driver). They loved the thing. They also loved those crappy old BMW's. They enjoyed the light handling of small gutless cars. I prefer a more manly car myself. In fact, I think even a modern Cavalier could beet those early 70's sports cars on the track.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
I guess it depends on your definition of a "sports car". I like cars that corner like they are on the proverbial rails. Controls, brakes, clutch, steering, and throttle all should feel right. The car, itself, must have good feeling as well. Performance is a wonderful thing but it should not come at the sacrifice of any of the above. And, yes they should be tossable and light. It's all about perfect balance.

As for the 240Z. I never said it was a great car but it was a fun car and fealt like a sports car. This wasn't true of the 280ZX which gained about 800 pounds, got a nice soft suspension and fealt like the family sedan.

You can keep your '70s Z28s, nothing but a muscle car and not even the best example of that.

G

Haven't heard anythihg about RadeonII yet myself,
but given the recent THG articles about nVidia being
king of the hill here, AND jumping into mobo business
I'd say ATi is due for some good news.

Sidenote: given everyone knows how big a mistake 3dfx made getting into the card business even when it had the best 3D chip going, think history will repeat itself with nvidia's venture into mobos (or nvidia should at least take a lesson from it)?