ATI + Linux primer.

Just saw an interesting thread with some quick and simple info.

<A HREF="http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/Linux_ATI.html#SECTION00071000000000000000" target="_new">http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/Linux_ATI.html#SECTION00071000000000000000</A>

Just FYI.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

<b>-NEW PIC IN THGC ALBUM-</b>

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Thats a good FAQ.
No information on 64bit linux drivers though. Hardcore linux heads use A64s to run 64bit linux and need 64bit driver support, only NV offers this currently.
I'm no linux expert, I wonder what they do about the other less crucial devices in their system, must use some kind of generic wrapper drivers.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.
<b>I’M NOT A ATI FANBOY, I’M NOT A NV FANBOY, I’M A STABILITY FANBOY</b>

Yeah I commented on that a whie back in <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=378373#378373" target="_new">this thread</A> when raretech was looking for a linux card. It is a shortcoming of the line right now, but realistically the linux crowd is a minority and it didn't surprise me. However it is an obvious hole in ATI's offerings. LJ even said they wanted to go with an ATI but it was not possible, and they were very please with the results of their nV card (despite some early issues due to a poor immature engineering sample bios on their card IIRC).
Since neither nV nor ATI will open up their drivers, it will be up to ATI to get it to work I think. Likely something for the new year, don't know though, I'm not sure how hard they are working on it, may be spring?

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

silverpig

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
There's a ton of people over at the gentoo forums that are emailing ati about getting some 64 bit drivers out. The pressure's on :)

Some day I'll be rich and famous for inventing a device that allows you to stab people in the face over the internet.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
Guess what man, I got that GF4 and it was DOA!!! I dont know if its the cold weather to blame (doubtful), fedex shipping, the fact I got it from gameve.com, or just pure bad luck.
It is a decent card- 128mb, 8x agp, DVI out, good tv out like ATIs (1024x768) and has that leadtek huge arse HS.
Believe me or not, I debated whether to get a 9600 Pro or not for another $40 for quite some time.
I probably shouldve gone that way.
But NV doesnt really offer anything in exactly that price category besides the 5700 Ultra.
I found myself wanting to jump from the GF4 to 9600 Pro, to the 5700U, then I'd been up to $165 and why not spend the extra $35 and get a 5900NU?
Its an evil cycle, and I decided I was either going all the way (5900NU) or cheapest possible (GF4).
Since any card bought now is simply a hold over and going to be in a 2nd machine, cheaper sounded better.

In the end I was quite satisfied with my 9800s, damn nice cards. For the record, I dont really dislike ATI. They make a good product, though I do still prefer NV (some of the reasons can be found in a response to GW <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=381394#381394" target="_new">here</A>), and generally I find the driver layout more intuitive, but thats an opinion.
I suppose my previous harsh words for ATI are more reactive IMO than proactive to the very large ATI majority in these parts. I want to make sure NV is treated fairly in times when ATI might be a little more 'in' public opinion.

As far as my 'new' video card- It wouldnt boot into windows xp w/ or w/o a clean format.. in safe mode at first it worked fine then after 10 hours of having it I booted back into safe mode to do more trouble shooting and the screen was garbled.
Did that thing where you move the mouse and things are moving around.

So I'm waiting for my RMA number so I can get me another one..

ba humbug.

----
I just tell it like it is and some can't handle it. If your experience is different, well congratu-fukulation.

I won't get into the ATI / nV issue because it's a matter of taste/experience/needs/etc. For the Buyer's guide you know my position.

As for your personal choice if you can get an NU for that price it's ok, but considering that the FX5900SE/XT/LX has a lsit price of $199 (same as FX5700U) expect to see it much cheaper out in the real world.

That may be one to watch until the next gen cards come out.
Then it may be a whole new picture with the RV380 and whatever is meant to replace the FX5700U.

Not a good start to the x-mas season though.

kinney

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2001
As for your personal choice if you can get an NU for that price it's ok, but considering that the FX5900SE/XT/LX
Agreed, I mean all 5900s that arent the ultra when I say 5900NU.. I probably shouldve been more specific.

----