godprefersdiesels

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
I can't figure out how to update the drivers on this thing. I have downloaded, uninstalled, rebooted, and installed twice now with many many reboots. The only thing that happens is it reverts to 800x600 with standard vga graphics and no trace of my normal video card. I have also uninstalled that and rebooted hoping it would detect my card and no dice.

Twice now, I have had to revert to a previous restore point to get back to normal. I have a G73jh with HD5870.

Which thing do I download on their site? I have read to do the first one, because it "contains everything". But it is only 1.2MB, and the very next one is 86.9MB. So how can it "contain everything"? Why can't AMD have a big sign that says: "Download this one to update your drivers!!"?

Here is where I am: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonmob_win7-64.aspx#2

Which one is it? Thank you.

Also, when in standard vga mode, right clicking on the desktop and clicking the CCC only leads to a message about not being able to open the CCC because no components are associated with it or something??

godprefersdiesels

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2011
Thank you. But I've been there, and have no idea which one to download!!

I did download 10.8 and installed like normal. Know what? It worked on the first try...

I don't get it. Is Nvidia like this?

it's not an issue at all, if you chose other version not the CCC 11.8 you would have seen the full package and driver is included... it's like a normal bug could happen anywhere

It is common for laptop gpu to go up to that temperature.

See if there is a bios update to improve cooling.

Also, your laptop is still under the 2 year warranty right? Call ASUS and raise your concern. They probably ask you to return it for a look and reapply the thermal paste.

Overtonesinger

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016

Sure! I had this too!
I used to have this issue on my Asus G73JH ROG recently. (thermal paste completely burnet and worn out, fans were worn out too...)

Recently I ordered an "UPGRADE" of the cooling in the ASUS original services here in CZ ...
I have sent them (along with the G73JH) newly purchased 2 x "IC DIAMOND 7" thermo-paste (92% diamond!) the number ONE thermal paste - which conduts HEAT 7 times faster than SILVER. And they did it! They btw replaced also my 5.5 years old ventilators my G73jh...
and now: max on CPU: 74 Celsius, max on GPU: 72 Celsius during gaming, full 100% load.

Before the cooling upgrade: It used to be 95 Celsius during gaming or benchmarks - pretty normally !!!) :)

Overtonesinger

Commendable
Sep 4, 2016
Me too... I cannot figure out HOW to update (FIX) drivers on this thing! Reinstalling did NOT help ... I still have missing OpenCL driver (used for example for volunteer scientific computation projects through BOINC or for mining bitcoins). Otherwise all works well (al games), fortunatelly.

Does anyone know how to FIX OpenCL driver on this thing??? Thanx!