ATI mobility 5870 GDDR 3 vs GDDR 5 performance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bele

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
Hi, absolute newbie here. In what part of gaming performance will I see the difference between a GDDR3 and a GDDR5 memory for the Mobility 5870? It'll be paired with a core i5 450m and 4Gs of ram.

Thanks!

Solution

Like i said,the difference isn't huge,don't worry about it

Bele

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
There isn't really a price difference factor as I'm only looking at one laptop. The laptop in question is an MSI gx660 15" [it offers gddr3 on my local vendor - SEA region]. I don't really have other options for a 15" gaming laptop and that card seems to be the best that I can get, just that I'm not how much of a gaming performance I stand to lose on it or not.

If you know of any other 15" gaming laptops with a GPU on par to that, I'd gladly check it out.

Bele

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010
@maziar, with shipping costs, it'll come out a lot bigger [$200 bigger] than compared to my local retailer with the same specs [save for a gddr 3/5 differential]. I'll be running it on a 720p [1366x768] resolution anyway. would the gddr 3/5 tech have any performance/huge difference on that kind of resolution with high visual settings?

@sadseada123, I checked out NBC.net before asking here and I couldn't find a review/benchmark/comparison for the ATI 5870 gddr3. All I'm getting are gddr5 reviews on the card. Would you mind linking it please?

Like i said,the difference isn't huge,don't worry about it

Solution
Laptop video cards will always be slower than a desktop version. So the ATI 5870 DDR3 (mobile) vs a desktop ATI 5870 DDR5 can't really be compared. Ultimately, because of the design of a laptop the DDR3 isn't going to be a limiting factor to begin with.

Go for it. :) That'll be a good gaming laptop. At 720p the ATI 5870 mobility should run pretty well, DDR3 or DDR5. Again, the laptop's other components probably wouldn't feed it fast enough to make the DDR5 really matter anyhow.

Bele

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2010

Thanks. I've read this many times, especially the part about a bottleneck. Just that I'm wondering where you got the ddr3 version slightly outperforming the gtx260m

Status
Not open for further replies.