ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5000 is DX11 on the Go

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Holy Smokes, Batman!

I can just see adding this to my laptop if it were possible. :D

G

if this doesnt solidify ATI as the leader i dont know what will. and as for nvidia it will take them another year or so just to get fermi small enough to even think about going into the mobile space so you can count them out of the mobile market for that time.

Pei-chen

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2007
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]if this doesnt solidify ATI as the leader i dont know what will. and as for nvidia it will take them another year or so just to get fermi small enough to even think about going into the mobile space so you can count them out of the mobile market for that time.[/citation]
This isn't 5870 in a notebook, this is a whole new chip named Mobility Radeon HD 5870.

Anandtech has a more coverage of this release.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
Earlier this week, AMD announced that it extended its Vision branding initiative to businesses with the "Vision Pro Technology" banner, which aims to help businesses "increase productivity and gain competitive advantage by enabling visually stunning communications, marketing and sales materials."

just how much graphics power do you need to show Powerpoint slides?

B-Unit

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2006
[citation][nom]njkid3[/nom]if this doesnt solidify ATI as the leader i dont know what will. and as for nvidia it will take them another year or so just to get fermi small enough to even think about going into the mobile space so you can count them out of the mobile market for that time.[/citation]
A year? You wish. They still haven't gotten GT200 that small, the mobility GTX280 is based on G92b (AKA 8800GT/GTS, 9800GT/GTX, GTX250)

[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]Earlier this week, AMD announced that it extended its Vision branding initiative to businesses with the "Vision Pro Technology" banner, which aims to help businesses "increase productivity and gain competitive advantage by enabling visually stunning communications, marketing and sales materials."just how much graphics power do you need to show Powerpoint slides?[/citation]

Does your slide has h264 video or a 3D model in it? Just kiddin', lol.

I'd like to have a 5670 just to play decently WoW/MW2/GRID/DiRT2 at an affordable price on the go. I hate to travel long distances watching my breath taking PP's in it (lol). Did I mention I carry 2 truck batteries on my briefcase just in case? lol

Cheers!

shotgunpadre

Distinguished
May 5, 2009
yes! yes! a million times yes! I hope they get released unlike asus k51 with hd 4860. 1 billion transistors mean half the energy consumed and half the heat released so it's not very bad.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
The specs on the mobility 5870 are basically on par with a desktop 4870... which, in a chip that fits into a laptop thermal and power envelope, is freaking amazing.
-The first rumored benchmarks on this pretty baby supposedly put performance at 5770 level in 3DMark scores, which makes sense, because the 4870 performs about the same in 3DMark benchmarks. Overall, this is more like a 4870 in specifications, with the 5770 powersaving features and improved manufacturing process (40m). So, if this was a desktop part, it would be slightly superior to either a 4870 or 5770. For a laptop part, this should be easily superior to the 55nm G92 based Nvidia 280m.

With most gaming titles being multi-platform (read console ports), it should be possible to have a perfect, smooth gaming experience on a laptop now. Of course, if you have about $1700, that is.
-Its good to see Asus in the mix tho, they seem to price their laptops fairly, even if they have high end parts like this. (If Alienware had the first mobility 5870 in a laptop, they'd charge 3k).

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
*Wish there was an edit.

-God damn it. I looked at Anandtech's spec sheet, and its got a bus width of 128-bit. I suppose that makes some of the things I said above, kinda... silly. *sigh*

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
I want benchmarks none of that vague 12% faster well what's 12% of 33fps again? nothing... lol mobile graphics is still a drull. But why is AMD breaking nvidia's balls lol now they are gonging to have to do something on their high end that isn't a G92?!?!

G

"I looked at Anandtech's spec sheet, and its got a bus width of 128-bit. I suppose that makes some of the things I said above, kinda... silly. *sigh*"

No, your estimate was a good one. The desktop 5770 have proven itself not to be starved for memory bandwidth despite the doomsaying, it's very likely the same will hold true for the Mobility 5870.

What is a far larger concern is that most manufacturers are likely to stick to GDDR3, or even DDR3, for the chips and that will significantly crimp performance on the high end. As well as increasing power-draw.

G

[citation][nom]pei-chen[/nom]This isn't 5870 in a notebook, this is a whole new chip named Mobility Radeon HD 5870.Anandtech has a more coverage of this release.[/citation]
what does that have to do with my comment

[citation][nom]B-Unit[/nom]A year? You wish. They still haven't gotten GT200 that small, the mobility GTX280 is based on G92b (AKA 8800GT/GTS, 9800GT/GTX, GTX250)[/citation]

oh and that was a best case scenario knowing nvidia it will probally happen next decade or never

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
@Exodite4
Nah, what I said was silly. Considering the 128-bit bus, this card should be right in the middle of a 5770 and 5750, since it has the 5770's shader clocks, but with 5750 core speed. My 4870 comparison makes no sense at all if this has a 128-bit bus.

You're right... we've seen what 5750's perform like with GDDR3, and it's not pretty, so hopefully we'll never see one of these mobile cards hit the market that way. With GDDR5, like the card that's going into the ASUS G73JH-A1, it'll perform pretty well... but, turning on 4xAA at the native 1920 x 1080 resolution probably won't be possible, while if there was a 256-bit bus, it probably would have been.
-I guess laptop gamers will have to wait another year for 1080p res with AA. =)

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Wish they went for a naming scheme similar to the 4xxx line.
A 4870m and desktop 4870 had the same transistor count, stream processors etc., but was just highly crippled in frequencies.

Hearing of a GDDR3 or even a DDR3 (lower voltage) 5800m is dissapointing though.

ATI has been lacking in the mobile department, so hopefully this is all they needed to take over (screw the GTX 260m).

tpi2007

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2006
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]*Wish there was an edit.-God damn it. I looked at Anandtech's spec sheet, and its got a bus width of 128-bit. I suppose that makes some of the things I said above, kinda... silly. *sigh*[/citation]

Actually, it doesn't, because the desktop 5770 also has a 128-bit bus amd it performs almost as well as the 4870.

G

Seems like a big difference in performance between 5400 and 5800!
5800 seems ridiculously much transistors for a laptop!
5400 on the other hand seems like quite a capable graphics card for nearly all DX9 games @ 1280x800 or 1366x768 which are about the most common resolutions of laptops today!

the mobility 5700 could be easily on par with a $100 desktop Graphics card (mid-budget) performance wise.

footsoldier

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2009
What worries me most is that once nvidia loses the market, Intel went and acquire nVidia. Then, AMD will have some serious issues, which i hope it doesn't happen. AMD is my favourite, but please..catch up with Intel plss!

G

Methinks AMD/ATI should focus more on big power in small packages. I was pissed (to say the least) when I realized I couldn't replace my i7 rig's 4870 with either a 5870 or even a 5850 due to a lack of space for those monsters :(

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
So basicly a mobility 5800 on a i7-720qm system would be faster than my desktop dualcore with my otherwise fine 4870-512 ? things sure improve fast compared to years ago where the 8800gtx was top for what seemed like an eternity (good thing I had one)

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
Earlier this week, AMD announced that it extended its Vision branding initiative to businesses with the "Vision Pro Technology" banner, which aims to help businesses "increase productivity and gain competitive advantage by enabling visually stunning communications, marketing and sales materials."

Wait there was competition in the first place?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]hiniberus[/nom]Earlier this week, AMD announced that it extended its Vision branding initiative to businesses with the "Vision Pro Technology" banner, which aims to help businesses "increase productivity and gain competitive advantage by enabling visually stunning communications, marketing and sales materials." Wait there was competition in the first place?[/citation]

You're not understanding the sentence the right way! They're not talking about AMD vs Nvidia, but about the companies that use their products.
If you have one graphics card that powers 6 monitors in your shop or need 3 to do so make a difference in power consumption, investment and management costs. That is a competative advantage and improves productivity by lowering servicing costs.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
Don't nVidia have to get Fermi released and working for desktops first, before they can shrink it down for mobility? Just an observation.
Maybe the writer should have put "solidify as current leader" as no doubt nVidia will release a better product eventually. I think what they are trying to say is if you want the best right now, then ATI is the way to go, if you really want nVidia you will have to wait a while...

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS