ATI not supporting new AGP Radeon drivers

keith2468

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
ATI / AMD is not supporting new drivers for its Radeon AGP cards.

ATI / AMD is not providing new working install packages for its Radeon AGP cards.

So if you want your AGP card to support new games, or to have fixes for the operating system you are using, you should by a card made by the other major video chip maker.

The only drivers that will work are the ones on the install disk.

If you have one of these cards, and think you have been updating the drivers, check the version numbers. In my case it appears silent errors have kept the drivers from updating. With the 10.1 or 10.2 update packages, the errors now cause messages, so you should notice if you look.

New AGP drivers are provided on a Hotfix and which ATI says is beta and not supported. When a problem is reported with the drivers, as I have done, ATI / AMD is refusing to look at it or fix it on the basis of the driver being beta.

You can install updates to the Catalyst Control Center, but (a) It is the driver that matters most, (b) ATI recommends you keep the CCC and the driver insync, use the same install package for both.

I want to make ATI's position clear in as fair a way as possible.

So here is their position in their own words:

=================

Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200278391]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Just so we are clear...the porducts are not BETA...the drivers for them are. They should work fine with the drivers that come on the CD...but should updated drivers be needed...then we have made functioning drivers.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care
---------------------------
Okay, then I will let retailers of the cards know that they products they are selling are BETA and that the chipmaker does not stand behind them.

Keith
Winnipeg, Canada
---------------------------

Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200278391]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

So the install package script must have an error that cause the install to abort with the message "Driver Install: the driver package is not signed".

> That is known to happen. The drivers have NOT been tested and certified by us or Microsoft. So they would be considered BETA and not really supported. We offer them as a courtesy to people who have AGP cards.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care
===============

This is as far as I think you need to realize ATI is not supporting new drivers for the Radeon AGP cards. The drivers don't install with the installation package that ordinary users would use. ATI refuses to look into it.

As a computer programmer with 30 years experience, I think that effectively means they are not supporting new drivers for the AGP cards with their Radeon chips.

Others may have another interpretation, but if their install package doesn't work for ordinary home users, and they won't support it, they are not supporting their chipset.

But to be fair to ATI / AMD, I have included the rest of the correspondence.

===============
Hi -

1. From Control Panel; Add/Remove Programs, I uninstalled all ATI programs.
2. Rebooted.
3. Changed display to 1024x768 so I can see what I'm doing.
4. Ran 10-1_agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc.exe
It installed everything but the driver. The driver failed to install with the message
"Error messages
Driver Install: the driver package is notsigned"
5. Right-clicked My Computer; and selected Properties; Hardware; Device Manager.
6. In Device Manager expanded Display adapters.
7. Right-clicked the display adapter (vga display adapter) and selected Update Driver.
8. Installed driver from specific location
C:\ATI\Support\10-1_agp-hotfix_xp32_dd_ccc\Packages\Drivers\Display\XP_INF
Told install to ignore that driver did not have Windows Logo certificate.
9. Driver completed installing.
10. Re-booted.
11. Verified driver is installed (it is version 8.690.0.0). OK.
12. Adjusted CCC and desktop settings. OK.

And it looks good.

So the 10-1 AGP hotfix install package installs on Radeon 2600XT AGP cards fine, but the driver does not install.

The driver will install manually, and seems to work fine.

So the install package script must have an error that cause the install to abort with the message "Driver Install: the driver package is not signed".

That error should be fixed so other customers don't have the same problem, so other customers do not become dissatisfied with ATI/AMD.

So for me, my computer is working fine with the latest driver and CCC. So I am happy.

But ATI/AMD should fix the install script so the install works for other customers. (If you need the install logs or anything, to help you debug, I'll be happy to send them to you. Otherwise, thanks and it was good working with you.)

Thanks for your help. Have a good week.

Keith
Winnipeg, Canada
------------------
Good, thank you very much for getting back to me.

I've found the driver files on my computer infolder C:\ATI\Support\9-11_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc\Driver\XP_INF

Inside that folder I see atiiseag.ini, CX_89304.cat, CS_89304.inf,and folder B_89382.

You say to manually install the drivers. What do I do to install the drivers? Do I right-click onthe two .inf files and select INSTALL, or what do I do?

Thanks very much for your help.

Keith
---------------------
Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200278391]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response andService Request History:

Installing the driver manually is the next approach to take. I have provided an exampleof were to locate the folder on the hard-drive to install the driver. Keep in mind that thi is a guide and is not what actually be on yourPC.

> C:\ATI\Support\9-11_legacy_xp32-64_dd_ccc\Driver\XP_INF

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care
---------------------
Hi -

Has there been any progress?

I'm a computer programmer myself, and I know things take time. But if AMD does not come up with something, I'll have to let the retailer know that AMD is not supporting its latest drivers on AGP Radeon cards.

That would protect the retailer (TigerDirect) from having future dis-satisfied customers, but it won't help me. My first choice would be for AMD to support its drivers.

Thanks.

- Keith
------------------------
Dear support person,

Thank you for your latest suggestion.

The HIS website sends customers to the AMD website to download drivers.So your most recent suggestion does not help me.

Follow the link here and you'll see:
http://www.hisdigital.com/ca/download1-361.shtml

I am a programmer myself. Are you sure you installation script is not expecting the drivers to be signed? Hasanyone there tested the install package on an AGP system?

IF the problem is not that the installation script is expecting signed drivers, it means that an incorrect error message is being issued. An incorrect error message is a bug and should be reported back to your development team.

Keith
-----------------
Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200278391]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Thank you for the information that you provided.

AMD drivers should work with your HIS video card unless there are some conflict or incompatibility. Please make sure that you close all programs on background or close all the startup programs so that well know that theres no such application or program blocks or intereferes the installation process. If AMD drivers dont work, please visit HIS website, download and install their drivers instead.

Thank you.

In order to update this service request, please respond, leaving the service request reference intact.

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care
--------------
Hi -

Just to confirm, I know from this computer's specs that it doesn't have a built-in graphics controller. There is no mentionof a graphics controller in the BIOS. No graphics controller has ever shown up in Device Manager other than the card in the AGP slot.

This computer came with a GeForce graphics card, which I upgraded to a AIW 9600XT, which I just upgraded to the HIS Radeon 2600XT.

- Keith Tarrant

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: The driver part of this fails to install.

The error message your install program gives when it completes is:
"Error messages
Driver Install: the driver package is not signed"

There are no prompts about accepting the unsigned driver. Your installation package just proceeds to reject the driver install. The CCCupdate installs fine.

I also have this same problem with the 9.12 driver.

The 9.10 driver simply doesn't install, thereis no error message.

The only driver that will install is the one on the installation CD from HIS.
------------
Hi -

That was not the problem. This computer does not have a built-in graphic controller and the only graphics controller that has ever shown up in Manage Computer/Hardware is the graphics controller in the AGP slot.

Keith
-----------------
Dear Customer,

Your service request : SR #{ticketno:[8200278391]} has been reviewed and updated.

Response and Service Request History:

Problems like this may occur if your computer has a built in graphicscontroller embedded on the motherboard. Please make sure that you disable the onboard video and follow the link below for a possible solution.

Should you need further assistance, Please contact us again.

Thank you.
------------------
Sent: 01/30/10 12:18:16
Subject: The driver part of this fails to install

PROBLEM DESCRIPTION: The driver part of this fails to install. The error message your install program gives when it completes is:

"Error messages
Driver Install: the driver package is not signed"

There are no prompts about accepting the unsigneddriver. Your installation package just proceeds to reject the driver install. The CCC update installs fine.

I also have this same problem with the 9.12 driver.

The 9.10 driver simply doesn't install, there is no error message.

The only driver that will install is the one on the installation CD from HIS.

keith2468

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
Just to add, my Radeon card is an HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT, AGP version, 4x/8x bus, with 512MB of DDR3 memory.

One of the cards Tom's Hardware rated "best buy" for over $100 for AGP.

But the install script problem probably applies to all AGP Radeons that use the install package.

ATI's reply on no driver support seems to apply to all AGP Radeons.

As a technical computer person, I have my fix -- install the driver manually.

But it seems to me very unprofessional for ATI / AMD to not provide a fix for ordinary retail users who bought their cards last month.

keith2468

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2010
It is more a practical joke or fraud, than a courtesy, to provide hotfix drivers to your customers knowing those drivers don't work for anyone.

So I won't be buying or recommending any more AMD or ATI products.

Keith