ATi not to make video cards anymore

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
ATI Technologies Inc. (TSE: ATY, NASDAQ: ATYT), a world leader in graphics, video and multimedia solutions, today unveiled a new business strategy that will see the Company enter into manufacturing and distribution partnerships with leading original design manufacturers (ODMs) and add-in board manufacturers (AIBs) ? a move that will significantly increase sales and distribution penetration of ATI chip technologies worldwide.

These partners will become the major suppliers of ATI technologies to system integrators (SIs) and distributors worldwide. ATI will continue to provide chips and board products to OEMs in the value, mainstream, high-end and workstation markets and will continue to support ATI branded products in the retail channel. The new strategy will be officially rolled out at Computex, one of the worlds largest computer shows, held in Taipei from June 4 to 8, 2001.

This is great news for our customers and partners worldwide, who now have multiple suppliers for ATIs industry-leading graphics acceleration technology, said David Orton, President & Chief Operating Officer, ATI Technologies Inc. The market has changed over the past year-and-a-half and it is now time for ATI to deepen its penetration into the system integrator and distribution markets through this new strategy.

-----------------------

OMG... could i see a Creative Labs RADEON 2.

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
:lol: You gotta be kidding me, this is getting funnier my the moment. How about a Guillemot Hercules 3D Prophet ExtreamRage with ATI's Radeon 2. HEHE. I can smell the sweat from here. I just hope ATI continues to manufacture their boards as well because their quality is top notched.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/30/01 12:27 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
<A HREF="http://www.ati.com/na/pages/corporate/press/2001/4378.html" target="_new">It's about damn time!</A>

Blah, Blah Blahh, Blahh, blahh blah blahh, blah blah.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
This is getting interesting to say the least and a big big change for ATI. Maybe explains why Creative slowed down in their graphics card business. So when is this going to happen? Any idea?

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Actually it looks like ATI will continue to manufactrue there video cards for Retail and for OEMs who want to buy directly with ATI, check this out:

<A HREF="http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/19303.html" target="_new">http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/3/19303.html</A>

Still a good move by ATI, it doesn't look like a Creative Radeon 2 though because that would be Retail. RATS... Maybe a Creative Radeon2 OEM may work pretty good eeh?

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 05/30/01 01:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
Yeah I cant wait to see what Elsa and Hercules do with the Radeon Cards. Hopefully ATI will give them a bit of leeway when it comes to some of the additional features.

G

I don't understand you guys. Most if not all card manufacturers use nvidia's reference design and then add what ever memory and heatsink to the card. Sure there is quality difference between Jaton and Hercules but really, if jaton came out with a geforce card that had 4ns ddr memory on it it would kick ass and then everyone would say "hey, what if jaton came out with a radeon 2 board, it would rule!"

The only thing you could say about the well known companies is that they put vivo on boards but Ati is many times better then them anyway. Ati is just doing this to take the burden of manufacturing off of them a bit. Nvidia has already proven it to be more profitable to make the GPU and ref board then to try and do it all by themselves.

rcf84

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
Well i could see that ATi money wise can't support a new card. So if ATi gives some company's manufacturers the right to make the card. ATi could save alot of Money. Well i would see if ATi made cards. There would be a Basic model and there bread and butter the All-in-Wonder.

Well Hercules won't have a Radeon2 card due to there partership with STmicro (powerVR,Kyro). Elsa is a big nvidia support "but we saw an very popular Savage4 card from Elsa". PowerColor is forced to nvidia. Creative could lean over to ATi.

Creative Radeon2 AIW + SB LIVE platium = Multimedia Empire

Nice Intel and AMD users get a Cookie.... :smile: Yummy :smile:

G

"ATi not to make video cards anymore" is too strong statement, in my opinion. They only announced that they will allow third-party manufacturers to produce their cards in addition, and not instead of those they produce themselves.

Leo

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Your right, they will continue to produce cards for Retail and for OEMs while allowing other manufacturers to produce cards for OEM and System intergrators.

Pettytheft

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2001
ATI didn't always make their own cards. There used to be 3rd party ATI boards with their chips on them. ATI original statement was that they wanted strict control over how 3rd parties designed their boards. They decided to make their own cards. I think they believed they would make more money this way but it didn't happen.

There are several companies that stray from the reference design of Nvidia. Nvidia doesn't seem to mind cards above or below their specs.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
There are already companies "sneaking" ATI chips onto their own boards. The only chips you can get from ATI to put on your own PCB are mobile chips, becuase ATI doesn't make the motherboards they go on to. So you already see mobile chips on AGP cards, now we will see full performance versions from other manufacturers.

Cast not thine pearls before the swine