Ati R420 announcement day plus......

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

..... ONE...............

April 26 has now passed with no word from Ati on the R420/X800.

Seem as if the article in "The Register" may have been spot
on..........

John Lewis

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:54:29 GMT, john.dsl@verizon.net (John Lewis)
wrote:

>.... ONE...............
>
>April 26 has now passed with no word from Ati on the R420/X800.
>
>Seem as if the article in "The Register" may have been spot
>on..........
>
>John Lewis

Or their prediction of the 26th was wrong in the first place.

Crash7
remove x's from address to email

Les

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2001

> .... ONE...............
>
> April 26 has now passed with no word from Ati on the R420/X800.
>
> Seem as if the article in "The Register" may have been spot
> on..........
>
> John Lewis

There s an article somewhere where ATI state they never said it would be
april 26th, said that was a rumour propigated by others.

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

ATI have never said they would release the card on the 26th That was just a
rumor started by The Inquirer. When they later found out the official
release date (May 4.) they created a new spin. Instead of telling everybody
they were wrong in their April 26. guess, the said the card was delayed. The
nextgen ATI card will be released on WinHEC 2004 (May 4.)

> .... ONE...............
>
> April 26 has now passed with no word from Ati on the R420/X800.
>
> Seem as if the article in "The Register" may have been spot
> on..........
>
> John Lewis

rms

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2003
Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

>Instead of telling everybody
> they [the inquirer] were wrong in their April 26. guess, the said the card
was delayed. The
> nextgen ATI card will be released on WinHEC 2004 (May 4.)

You can't buy *any* flavour of the nvidia or ati cards until June
anyway, so relax everyone.

rms

> .... ONE...............
>
> April 26 has now passed with no word from Ati on the R420/X800.
>
> Seem as if the article in "The Register" may have been spot
> on..........

No, they were just perpetuating a myth spread around by Nvidia fanboys.

I don't see any Nvidia GeForce 6800 series cards on the shelves right now,
do you? Smells like another paper launch to me....

--
somnambulist

"somnambulist" <somnambulist@simplybeinglove.not> wrote in message

" I don't see any Nvidia GeForce 6800 series cards on the shelves right
now, do you? Smells like another paper launch to me.... "

One way for nVidia to save time and money is to *launch* the card, ship them
to partners and developers (which I understand they already have done), and
let them be the guinea-pigs. As they report back with teething-problems,
the nVidia driver-development team gain an accelerated-rate of knowledge on
the compatibility and stability problems. By the time the retail cards
ship, they will be further ahead with the drivers than if they did all of
the testing themselves.

---
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

"Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com> wrote in message
> "somnambulist" <somnambulist@simplybeinglove.not> wrote in message
>
> " I don't see any Nvidia GeForce 6800 series cards on the shelves right
> now, do you? Smells like another paper launch to me.... "
>
> One way for nVidia to save time and money is to *launch* the card, ship
them
> to partners and developers (which I understand they already have done),
and
> let them be the guinea-pigs. As they report back with teething-problems,
> the nVidia driver-development team gain an accelerated-rate of knowledge
on
> the compatibility and stability problems. By the time the retail cards
> ship, they will be further ahead with the drivers than if they did all of
> the testing themselves.

Derek Perez and his team couldn't have said it better themselves.

--
somnambulist

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:07:43 +0100, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
wrote:

>"somnambulist" <somnambulist@simplybeinglove.not> wrote in message
>
>" I don't see any Nvidia GeForce 6800 series cards on the shelves right
>now, do you? Smells like another paper launch to me.... "
>

>One way for nVidia to save time and money is to *launch* the card, ship them
>to partners and developers (which I understand they already have done), and
>let them be the guinea-pigs. As they report back with teething-problems,
>the nVidia driver-development team gain an accelerated-rate of knowledge on
>the compatibility and stability problems. By the time the retail cards
>ship, they will be further ahead with the drivers than if they did all of
>the testing themselves.

Substitute "Ati" for "nVidia" in the above statement. Such a plan
seems a winner for both companies with their new-gen silicon when it
is available in sufficient volume to ship to the appropriate partners.

John lewis

> On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 19:07:43 +0100, "Cuzman" <cuzNOSPAM@supanet.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"somnambulist" <somnambulist@simplybeinglove.not> wrote in message
> >
> >" I don't see any Nvidia GeForce 6800 series cards on the shelves right
> >now, do you? Smells like another paper launch to me.... "
> >

> >One way for nVidia to save time and money is to *launch* the card, ship
them
> >to partners and developers (which I understand they already have done),
and
> >let them be the guinea-pigs. As they report back with teething-problems,
> >the nVidia driver-development team gain an accelerated-rate of knowledge
on
> >the compatibility and stability problems. By the time the retail cards
> >ship, they will be further ahead with the drivers than if they did all of
> >the testing themselves.
> >

> Substitute "Ati" for "nVidia" in the above statement. Such a plan
> seems a winner for both companies with their new-gen silicon when it
> is available in sufficient volume to ship to the appropriate partners.

I think both companies are getting a little like Chimpzilla and Chipzilla
when they paper launch new parts. Still, I suppose it always generates some
healthy debate about MCIBTYC!!

--
somnambulist

>ATI have never said they would release the card on the 26th That was just a
>rumor started by The Inquirer. When they later found out the official
>release date (May 4.) they created a new spin. Instead of telling everybody
>they were wrong in their April 26. guess, the said the card was delayed. The
>nextgen ATI card will be released on WinHEC 2004 (May 4.)

And you know this exactly HOW? You'd better check, it looks like you're
talking out of the wrong hole again.

Weaver

On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:09:35 GMT, "somnambulist"
<somnambulist@simplybeinglove.not> wrote:

>I think both companies are getting a little like Chimpzilla and Chipzilla
>when they paper launch new parts. Still, I suppose it always generates some
>healthy debate about MCIBTYC!!

NINMIBTY

"Weaver" <dratI@forgot.com> wrote in message
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2004 06:09:35 GMT, "somnambulist"
> <somnambulist@simplybeinglove.not> wrote:
>
> >I think both companies are getting a little like Chimpzilla and Chipzilla
> >when they paper launch new parts. Still, I suppose it always generates
some
> >healthy debate about MCIBTYC!!
>
> NINMIBTY

Nope, you got me there.... what's that one when it's at home?

--
somnambulist

Archived from groups: alt.comp.periphs.videocards.ati,alt.comp.periphs.videocards.nvidia (More info?)

On Tue, 27 Apr 2004 15:48:52 GMT, "rms" <rsquires@flashREMOVE.net>
wrote:

>>Instead of telling everybody
>> they [the inquirer] were wrong in their April 26. guess, the said the card
>was delayed. The
>> nextgen ATI card will be released on WinHEC 2004 (May 4.)
>
> You can't buy *any* flavour of the nvidia or ati cards until June
>anyway, so relax everyone.

Yep...

But you always get these tech fanboys who get their panties in a bind
for rhe FASTET NEWEST card - can't wait a month or so...

Look at the dweeb who paid about $1200 for the FX5900Ultra just to get
it 30 days faster!! When at that time, until the driver issued
improved the performance - wasn't faster than an ATI9700Pro which was
selling for about $300 by then.

Go figure,

When 512K of video RAM was a lot!

Death to Palladium & WPA!!