My computer will not start with this new card:
ATI Radeon HD 3650 AGP 1GB

My computer:
Asus a7v8x-x motherboard
Windows XP SP3
2.5 GB RAM DDR
WD 500GB hard drive
OKIA switching power supply (420W Max)

Computer works perfectly with an ancient NVIDIA 128MB graphics card so I dont think anything is wrong with the AGP slot

The ATI card worked before, broke, then sent away for a new one.

I have already tried a bunch of drivers downloads from AMD and visiontek (Catalyst install manager) but nothing has worked.

When i first got the card, the CD didnt work so I got it to work with an AGP hotfix driver from ATI. tried again now, doesnt work.

PLEASE help!!!!!

the comp is so old that i dont want to waste anymore on it although it is very reliable.

Itzkow1

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011

Do you still think its the PSU - because when i had the card originally (the 3650) it ran perfectly for a few months....
How long do PSU's usually last because mine is the original - made my machine custom when Windows XP was brand new almost a decade ago

Thanks

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
I give my PSUs a 5 year lifespan. I overclock so they take a bit more abuse than average though. I've personally had PSUs work for 15+, but by that time they are usually in an internet only PC that I gave to my family.

You have 2 options to be able to tell which is causing the issue. If you knew someone with an older PC where you could install the 3650 to tell if the second card is bad or you could get a new PSU to see if your PSU has weakened over the years.

It's really a toss up and you just have to try something to be able to tell. It's also possible that both the PSU and the original 3650 when bad at the same time.

TRENDING THREADS