ATI Radeon 4800 Forces Nvidia To Make Price Cuts For GTX 260, 280

Status
Not open for further replies.

mihirkula

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2007
yaaawwwnn another ham-fisted desperate attempt from Nvidia.... it would be hilarious if the $499 4870X2 beats the cut priced $550 GTX280 :p

doomsdaydave11

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2007
yawn indeed. Nvidia is not going to get my money on this one, $300 HD 4870 ftw! :)

Thank you green team for keeping pricing relatively competative, hopefully this results in a slight ATI price drop.

joetheone

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007
My question is how much can Nvidia really afford to cut the price on their GTX 200 series. The things must be expensive as heck to make with their huge die size and 512-bit bus...

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
Well the question is when will we see the next branch of games.Games these days take years and years to develope wich means that things might slow down soon. If I had known that 5 months later the 8800gt would cost $170. I would have bought an Sli motherboard dam!! to bad P35 mobos ruled back then .Ill wait till the 790i drops or ECS makes one

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
Yea they lost the battle of mediocrity. gg ATI. I dont understand the excitement unless your happy you can get the Nvidia cards cheaper. That excites me because I thought it would be a while longer before I could afford the 2XX series.
Those 4800 series do look red hot compared to the older architecture but I guess the idea was to catch up with the 8800's and appeal to the thinner wallets.

bash007

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2007
Why would you waste your money on a GTX 200 card (putting your obvious fanboyism aside)?
GTX 260 is beaten by a much cheaper HD 4870, and GTX 280 performance can easily be exceeded with two of them.

Nvidia does not have the upper hand this round, bud. Live with it.

thomasxstewart

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2006
two equal cardS will always beat one card until all lanes are filled, which is i.deaL. Once lanes are filled by one card, then its question of which can do best with that. All lanes means 32 at this time or 2-16X. However, NO 32X slot exists at this point, so it will be some time before anyone can compare. We know 4 isn't better than 3, 3 barely better than 2, 2 50% better than 1. yet take guts of 2 equal cards on one card & it would be better yet. However, with NO Super slot to move to, how fast can one 16X card & SLOT go? if slot at TOP, will second do any good. if NOT ,then lot of sli/CrossfireX hybrid is being Intel scam entire time. yet world has moved up(3d numbers) by factor of 8X in
meantime,2005-. So Go Figure. It could be BIG NO brainer, with companies refusing to 32X.

Signed:pHYSICIAN THOMAS STEWART VON DRASHEK M.D.

G

yes ATI back in the game it took them long enough. and ATI's cards are DX10.1 and its finally taken long enough for ATI to have one of the most decent cards since th 9600-9800 era. i like these price cuts too cause that means these cards are gettin cheaper but im stickin with ATI. I think the dual chips on one card works better since it has a an inigrated bridge for the two instead of the crossfire bridge for two seperate cards but who cares GG ATI!!

BallistaMan

Distinguished
May 20, 2008
If the 280 could go a little bit lower (like ~$510), then I'd be willing to at least consider it. Otherwise it looks like ATI wins the price war. I'm still going to hold off on a new card until the 9900s/4870x2 are out though. My G80 8800GTS is still holding out fine, so I can afford to wait and see how things go after the initial surge.

As selfish as it sounds to say it, the more both companies have to drop their prices, the better it gets for me. :D

roofus

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]They've been one gen behind for years dude.[/citation]
Evidently not in performance. I know this is a ceremonial day for ATI fans and it should be. They put out two good cards but please. ATI has been absent from anything significant in a good while. I am as glad they put something out there marketable as any of you but for different reasons. Competition drives prices down. Outside of that, they are a glorified S3 platform as far as I am concerned.

randomizer

Champion
[citation][nom]roofus[/nom]Evidently not in performance.[/citation]
I was referring only to the process node. ATI have often been one step ahead. Unfortunately it didn't help them much performance wise, or power consumption wise (2900XT).

Status
Not open for further replies.