Question ATI Radeon 5450 PCIe not working extended display

johnny_chronic

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Best answers
Hi! I have a Radeon 5450 PCIe card that has DVI-I and VGA inputs. I used my old VGA to DVI-I adapter from last decade. I get a duplicate image on the second monitor but the second monitor is not found when I try to detect the displays.
I have tried uninstalling video drivers using DDU and reinstalling the latest versions. I uninstalled and reinstalled both the video card and the monitor. I tried to single link the (working) monitor and I get, "Unknown monitor."
After reconnecting the 1st monitor, that monitor disappears. They are both Dell monitors, both built around the same time. Please help.

UPDATE
I removed the other monitor and I have unknown monitor. I checked ATI catalyst and found out this is an analogue CRT somehow.

Last edited:

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Best answers
Have you poked around in the ATI settings, and have you seen any options about extended desktop?

Tried to reinstall ATI drivers ? Tried to install older driver?

johnny_chronic

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Best answers
Tried all of that to no avail.
I used device manager to uninstall and reinstall, including disable and renable the video card.
and used DDU to flush the old graphics card settings after uninstalling (for both).
I can't remember if I only had one monitor or not in device manager before the switch but at this time
there is one monitor in device manager.

Grobe

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Best answers
Ok - then try this - just for ensuring the GPU card itself are capable of outputing two different images simoultaneously - Go get a Linux Live-CD (Ubuntu or Mint are good choices), Boot your computer from the live-cd and then find the display settings (on Linux Lite it's just named Settings --> display).

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS