Question ATI Radeon 5450 PCIe not working extended display

johnny_chronic

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Hi! I have a Radeon 5450 PCIe card that has DVI-I and VGA inputs. I used my old VGA to DVI-I adapter from last decade. I get a duplicate image on the second monitor but the second monitor is not found when I try to detect the displays.
I have tried uninstalling video drivers using DDU and reinstalling the latest versions. I uninstalled and reinstalled both the video card and the monitor. I tried to single link the (working) monitor and I get, "Unknown monitor."
After reconnecting the 1st monitor, that monitor disappears. They are both Dell monitors, both built around the same time. Please help.

UPDATE
I removed the other monitor and I have unknown monitor. I checked ATI catalyst and found out this is an analogue CRT somehow.

Last edited:

johnny_chronic

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
Tried all of that to no avail.
I used device manager to uninstall and reinstall, including disable and renable the video card.
and used DDU to flush the old graphics card settings after uninstalling (for both).
I can't remember if I only had one monitor or not in device manager before the switch but at this time
there is one monitor in device manager.

Ok - then try this - just for ensuring the GPU card itself are capable of outputing two different images simoultaneously - Go get a Linux Live-CD (Ubuntu or Mint are good choices), Boot your computer from the live-cd and then find the display settings (on Linux Lite it's just named Settings --> display).