ATI Radeon 64 VIVO: S-video in?

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Does anyone know if the VIVO version of the 64DDR Radeon has s-video IN? The info on the ATI site is inconclusive, even seeming to indicate that it has s-video out, but only composite in. Other store sites indicate that the VIVO version has s-video IN and OUT. I just want to capture external source video as best I can, but don't need the TV features of the AIW. The VIVO would seem the choice if it has s-vid in. Thanks the help.

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
The Radeon 64 VIVO does not have SVHS In only composite but it does have SVHS out. Only the All in Wonder Radeon has SVHS in.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by noko on 02/14/01 03:10 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Kodiak, you are correct. However, if you watch (and read with) that lovely 3D animation of the Radeon 64's features at their site, you will see that the video out is s-video, but the video in is only composite. Indeed that's video in and out, as you say, but with a difference. I need the improved image quality of s-video on the input side so I can get it back out later! It appears that among the Radeon's, only the slower, more expensive, 32 MB AIW has s-video in. As an amateur analog video editor, I can say that s-video is clearly superior, especially with multiple generation edits/copies. Does anyone out there actually have a 64 DDR VIVO? That would be a definitive source!

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Yes, I have had one since September of last year. I don't do much video recording but I do use Video in alot. I watch TV mostly when I browse the web and the quality is superb. Wouldn't digital video using a firewire and a digital camera be the best way for video editing. Also I think ATI's TV-Wonder has SVHS in, which would give you an option of a 32meg or 64meg card and SVHS input cheaper than what the All In Wonder Radeon are selling for now.

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
Noko, Firewire and a digital camcorder might be next years addition. For now I've got to stick with my Hi8 camcorder as the source I'm afraid. I'll check out the 64MB Radeon plus Wonder TV combo, price/features vs. the AIW. It would give me the best of both worlds if it works, but would consume a PCI slot and maybe an IRQ which I might not have. I'll also check out the local computer supplier to see if they have a 64 DDR VIVO to look at. There appear to be VIVO's and non-VIVO's (Retail and OEM??)and I'm not sure I understand the differences fully yet. Thanks for the tip.

BW

noko

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2001
Radeon 64 VIVO <font color=red>Retail</font color=red>/<font color=blue>OEM</font color=blue> radeon clock speeds <font color=red>183</font color=red>/<font color=blue>166</font color=blue> mhz, Ram speed <font color=red>5.5</font color=red>/<font color=blue>6 ns</font color=blue>. Usually the Retail can overclock to 200-210 without problems, OEM 175-195. Some Radeon 64 OEM's do not come with VIVO. Retail comes in graphically design box which you usually throw away, OEM comes in white box which you save for Christmas.

bw37

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2001
noko, I stopped at the local CompUSA last night. Confirms everything you've said. I didn't know the OEM Radeon 64 was 166 Mhz, assumed it was also 183. Looks like I can't have my cake and eat it too since the video IN on even the retail 64 DDR is ONLY composite as you said. Looks like in a single slot solution, my choices of newer boards with s-video IN are ATI AIW, and ASUS 7700 Deluxe. Tom's review of these indicates the AIW does a better job with the A/D conversion from analog camcorder input. No report yet on the upcoming ELSA solution. There are of course the external converters, USB, Firewire, etc. I'm building a new system (still picking components), and I was hoping to keep it simple and save a few bucks. Thanks for the advice.

BW