mike_ny1974

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
hi there.
im running windows 2k with sp4
i have an athlon 1.3 ghz chip with 256mb ram

i have an ati radeon 9100 with s video out
im running my monitor at 1024x768

i recently bought soem monster s video cables so i could hook up the computer to my televisoin. so i could watch downloaded stuff on my TV instead of my computer

my TV has S video input. its a JVC 27 inch flat screen

when i make the connection, the screen on teh TV just scrolls. and it doesnt give me a steady picture.

i updated teh driver to teh newest driver. but im not sure what else i can do.

please help
thanks.
floyd

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wow, I answered you at another forum! hehe. Basically ATI cards will usually output to the TV until after Windows starts. To see an image on the TV from that point, you have to enable the TV-Out in Display Properties>Settings>Advance>Displays.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You see a normal picture and it scrolls?

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

mike_ny1974

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
i mean that on my TV what i see is a black and white version of what is on my computer monitor. but its not a steady picture its like the cable is out, and the picture on teh screen just keeps rolling from bottom to top

cleeve

Illustrious
Sounds like the signal is bad. Could be a bad card... maybe a bad input on the TV, or a bad cable too...

Yeah definitely. It sounds like what you experience using different length cables on your component out (everything is based on the timing of those signals). I would first try another s-Video cable.
Have you had another S-V source like a DVD player running ok on that TV/Monitor?

Also check to make sure you have the correct region selected for your video out (should be dip switch). I remember people experiencing something similar on PAL TVs for cards that are set by default to NTSC. I can't find the R9100 schematic from ATI (even the R8500LE lit is vague), or on the net and the literature doesn't mention the dip switch found on some cards (bios thing?). I would check into that if all else fails, in which case you may need to contact the maker of your card (BuiltByAti?)

Just a few thoughts.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! - <font color=green>RED </font color=green> <font color=red> GREEN</font color=red> GA to SK :evil:

mike_ny1974

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2004
i know for a fact its not the cable or the TV.
i used an RCA cable to hook up to one TV.
and i also tried an SVIDEO cable to hook up to a second TV
perhaps its the card.